26 February, 2010

I need to go to a meeting...

I am the Backward Birder, and I am an addict. My addiction is bad for the health, but I just can't stop. Rain or shine [but especially rain] I succumb, pretty much year round [though notably more so June to November]. I know I'm not alone in my addiction, and that compared to some I have it mildly, but I know I need help.

I looked at the weather forecast, saw that low coming up from Biscay, and thought to myself "curve a bit west and come 6 months later please!". Its biting again - I am a seawatchoholic. ;)

I know there may be people reading this who disapprove of my comparing seawatching with other, real addictions, but is freely spending hours in the wind, rain, and lashing sea spray, staring out into the teeth of the storm in the hope that some poor bird flies past really sane? Its not good for your health [never mind the hypothermia, what about your posture? Sat for 10 hours huddled over your scope??], you have to sneak away to exercise it, and you just can't stop.... You prowl in your home / workplace, quietly cursing the weather for coming when you can't be there. When you do see something, the rush keeps you grinning for hours / days or even longer. I've not even gotten to the flypast immature gulls..... [[Ok, maybe a step too far - there insanity does lie.....]]

I know the wind's going the wrong way, but I fear I won't be able to resist when Sunday comes. I was wrong in that first paragraph - I don't need help. I need a shear, or a skua, or - ooh a Puffin would be nice........

No comments:

Post a Comment