01 March, 2010

Garden Update

Couple of bits of garden news - Blackbird started singing today! Greenfinches started on Friday. Song Thrush, Blue Tits and House Sparrows [well, as much as they can - determined chirping!] still going. Mr. Blackcap seems to be acquiring a taste for sunflower hearts [?] in addition to his beloved fat block. The other two Blackcaps seem to have moved off - perhaps due to the easing of the cold? [I hope it isn't due to the cats that have re-started their marauding with the end of the freeze - curse them!]

With the breeding season getting underway, I think it is a good point to state a policy of mine; I will not mention what I consider to be rare, scarce, or threatened breeding birds - this includes all raptors - unless they are very publicly known and guarded. And even then I probably won't. This is probably futile, as the assorted persecutors [eggers, chick thieves, pigeon fanciers, gamekeepers etc] seem to know very well where to go, but at least it'll make me feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment