13 April, 2010

Impatience, skill vs persistence, why red is camouflage, and the Jack Snipe of the Skies!

Firstly may I apologise for the delay in posting this. Really ought to have been yesterday, but when I got in I had immediate distractions, then other online distractions, so by the time I thought "Gotta post!" it was a bit late and tiredness won. Today I've had things of an important nature to deal with too, so here I am 24 hours behind. Not that it really matters, as the exciting news would only have been of value if I'd actually had my mobile charged and with me at the key point. And I didn't. Well, I sort of did, but didn't realise, and it wasn't really anyway- and I'll get to that bit! Not that it would have made much odds - all eyes have been on the skies for days, if not weeks now, so one dodgy report wouldn't likely have made a difference...

But first things first!

Yesterday, after many many days of rest, I finally snapped and went out birding. This whole unemployment thing has to have some benefits, and weekday birding is probably number one. The tendon of doom is not fully right yet, but I kept things gentle and travelled light. Kit; bins, ickle scope [now with additional padding and several yards of assorted tape in an attempt to save it if dropped ::knock on wood:: - having been stuck inside I've had the opportunity to carry out a few projects I've had in mind] mounted on the Cullmann, silly hat [but of course!], small rucksack with rations, folding stool, etc, and Leki trekking pole as old man's stick! The idea being to use said pole left-handed to take the weight off my tendon on slopes. This actually worked very well, and today I'm feeling pretty good, which I'm very pleasantly surprised by, as I was expecting to be half-crippled again!

First up I went over to Bowling Green before the tide dropped too much to see if the moulting Spotshank was about. No dice. No hirundines either, which was odd, though I did get to meet Roger the Devon Birder, which was great :). Male Blackcap was singing his heart out [garden pair have not stayed, btw] and a Med Gull came and sat on the mud on the Clyst, but it was pretty quiet. Couple of Buzzard soaring overhead, but no Ospreys. A Comma in the lane was my first of the year.

On to Aylesbeare, where I hoped the wind wouldn't keep the Dartfords down, and I could gently toddle around and see some...? First bird was a Dartford! Woo! It ducked down fast and shut up, though and this was the pattern of the day. The sun shone and the wind wasn't too bad, but a couple of marauding Kestrels didn't help [though they were after lizard!s - amusingly an adult female scored on her first attempt, a 2cy female then took 6 goes to get her lunch!]. I found a nice spot with a good view of both gorse and the skies to the east [suspecting the possibility of a Backwater Red Kite [or even better - I wouldn't be surprised to hear of them getting Black Stork!]. I then found another spot as the ground sprouted Wood Ants as I poured my coffee! Argh! I'm not too bothered by ants - scouts investigating my feet aren't a problem - but when you look over and see 30-odd within arms reach, you think "Hmm..." The Kestrels and local Buzzards provided the action during lunch, and then I headed off to look for more Dartfords. Final total was 4 - none out long enough to even get the ickle scope on - which wasn't bad, and there were a couple of very close if brief views to enjoy. A single Swallow flew past low, and the invariable Mallards did a couple of flypasts. Yes, Mallards on high heath - go there, you'll see them! A Peacock butterfly was very actively on the wing, Chiffs sang from the trees, and lots of lizard!s explained the Kestrels' choice of targets.

Having heard a Tree Pipit fly over but been unable to get on it, and having some time [as I didn't fancy going too far up and down the slopes] I decided to come back via Ideford Common. I like Ideford, though it is prone to dog-walkers and cyclists [the latter being a bit surprising as its quite cut-off], its a place of gentle strolls and impressive panoramas. Tripit was a little more obliging, though I had to wait to get more than a distant 'pipit landing in tree therefore Tripit' view! Still, the sun was shining, the Coal Tits were singing, and while the panorama was suffering an attack of haze closer to there were Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock butterflies, plus a plethora of hoverflies and bees.

Sitting on one of the funky curvy benches, I decided to play 'count the Buzzards' over the wide if hazy expanse to the south. I focussed my ickle scope on the trees of Little Haldon, and absently lifted my view to the clouds. Something cut through my view - I got on it and went "oooh....what are you?" [[Yes, I talk to birds even when they're far away. Its not talking to myself, so I'm definitely not mad...right?]] This bird was dark, with long back-swept pointed wings, and it was very much like a great big swift... The rapid stiff wingbeats, the gliding banks, wings just slightly drooped but not bent. It was high and far and it was hawking insects in a circling pattern, getting higher and further. Answering my question, my first thought was Hobby - they're like big swifts and would appear all dark at this range, especially with the haze. But something wasn't quite right about it - I've seen a fair few Hobbies and the shape was off, but more importantly, it wasn't changing its wing shape and posture. Hobbies straighten their wings to soar, and bend them at the carpal to fly actively, they also like to grab even quite small insects with their feet. This bird wasn't. Then it banked far enough for the sun to flash on the huge pale belly. I am ashamed to say the invective that followed, though I kept the volume down, would have shocked Mr Brown... Then it vanished into the haze - whether it went southeast for Teignmouth, or southwest towards Newton Abbot I couldn't tell, the change from circling to gone was so quick. I'd had it in view for 4 minutes and if I hadn't been using my scope I doubt I would have picked it up at all. Funny thing, birding.

Now, I immediately thought I ought to call it in. Ok, I immediately thought "No way, no [DELETED] way..." but while the bird was very distant, it was unmistakeable. After I got over my self-doubt, I reached for my mobile... and it wasn't there. I thought it might have fallen out of my pocket in the car, and was packing up to go back when I found it in my rucksack. Turning it on I saw the battery was enough for a text, but a long call was well out. Mobiles... Well, I thought, a) it could be anywhere by now, b) nobody would believe me anyway, and c) it just can't have been. [[Yeah, real self-doubt issues going on here; its a long story]]. It wasn't until I got home, fired up BWPi [including 'stand across the room and squint for haze effect'] and saw that yes, they do look like that [especially end-on gliding profile] that I've gotten over it.

To the title, in case you were wondering; Impatience of a Backward Birder to get out and do something, Skill of the adult vs Persistence of the 2cy in lizard!* pouncing Kestrels, Red is Camouflage - well, two parts, firstly is all the Red Kites that evaded me! 2 at Powderham would have been a reach if I'd been looking that way hard, the Bowling Green bird with the Buzzards that Stoney got evidently arrived just after I left, and Steve Waite's one flew high to his west [which was conceivably seeable] 10 minutes after I'd finished my lunch and started back the other way! Second part - WW1 and the Red Baron, his red triplane actually blended surprisingly well with the ground - there's a reason why red and green are used for colour-blindness tests - so his chivalry wasn't quite what it was cracked up to be. Finally - Jack Snipe of the Skies! It is a firmly-held belief of mine that you can only see Jack Snipe when you aren't looking for them. Many hours in freezing bogs back me up on this. Evidently this also applies to Alpine Swifts. Won't stop me dipping the next one; I wanna see one up close even more now - wow that thing could fly!! :D

Today I have been mostly jobseeking and preparing for tomorrow's Inquisition. Joy. Being now in a join of Blackbird territories means lots of beakicuffs [[I know it should be billicuffs, but that's far too goat-y!]] - there were two females at it today, one trying to fly off with the other attached to her rump! Ouch. Collared Doves were around a bit, and lastly I think I've already said but if not - new Mr. Sparrow in the nest box, which is a relief.

[[*It occurs I haven't explained why I always write lizard! with an !... The reason is both simple and silly - every time you meet one when out it's presence is announced by a sudden surprised scuttle and you naturally go "Lizard!" ;) ]]

No comments:

Post a Comment