30 April, 2010

Surprise!

Things weren't going too well today, the only good thing being a couple of 'What I Saw out the Window at my Course' list ticks - Jackdaw and Grey Wagtail [What was a Grey Wag doing on a dingy flat roof in Torquay? I don't think it knew either!]

Then, after I got back and was nursing a cup of coffee.... a familiar screaming noise caught my ears. Rushing to the window [and wondering where the frickin' Starling was lurking] I was amazed and delighted to see at least 17 Swifts, feeding and screaming low over the rooftops!!! They usually arrive in the first week of May - I've just checked back as far as 2000, and the previous earliest was the 2nd [in 2005], mean date being the 4th. Pretty reliable birds, Swifts, and far too brief in their stay. I love the fact I live in Swift country - a warm summer evening with them screaming past [hoovering up the mozzies :) ] is one of the things I cherish...

Right then, its late and I have things to do tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment