28 June, 2010

Still after the dragons!


With at long last a change looming in the weather I took the opportunity to go after Southern Damselfly [apparently the most temperature-sensitive of the odonata - 'only flies in the hottest part of the day'] on the East Devon Commons. The proper dragonfly hunters had seen lots and lots in the past few weeks, but I only managed to find a couple. I did meet a LOT of horseflies [Biting Cleggs, to be more accurate] - it got pretty frantic trying to 'dissuade' them, especially when one went for my face... :( [[While horseflies are very persistent, if you keep brushing - ideally blowing - them off and move off briskly, you can usually get them to give up - I think they might be territorial to an extent]]

I did better with Golden-ringed Dragonflies - a surprise visit from a male to a pond [it got driven off by 2 Emperors!] and then crippling views of a female perched on some gorse. I took my Big Lens [having dug it out after the Stover 4-spot debacle] and tried some shots of her - she sat that still for that long!! And in about 6 months, when I finish the film, I'll find out if they're any good! Also got a couple of nice Emeralds - an Emerald Damselfly being picked on by 4-spots at Aylesbeare and a zoom-past [they're too quick for just a fly-past!] male Downy Emerald near Woodbury Castle. I know you get them at Bystock, but didn't realise they foraged so far! :)

Plenty of Emperors, 4-spots, Black-tails, Azures, Common Blues and Large Reds, and several Keeled and Common Darters, plus a couple of Broad-bodies.

Dartfords were plentiful - I met a birder down from Northampton who'd had a close encounter with a family group of 6 [he was delighted, the lucky person] and I saw a similar number [though not all at once, alas]. A Tripit was singing and still displaying, and all the usual suspects were present [though the Willow Warblers were holding off on the singing compared to the Chiffs].

Right then - time for bed, as its Gull-billed Tern II - the Revenge in the morning!

[We're doomed...]

No comments:

Post a Comment