17 July, 2010

Saturday Afternoon


Was spent strolling about Ideford Common with the folks. The day warmed up more than expected, and with the panoramic views you get there, it was [aside from a brief attack of Horseflies - I think this may be the worst year for them I've known...] very pleasant indeed.

All the birds you'd expect were there, though mostly fairly subdued - excepting a very exuberant Yellowhammer - and though I wasn't expecting much with the cooler windier weather, we had a couple of nice dragonflies and lots of butterflies. A male Golden-ringed came to say hello as he patrolled a section of bridleway, and a very welcome Common Hawker was less showy [as you'd expect] along a wooded ride. Butterflies were mostly the ordinary 'brown' and 'white' ones shown on the signs, but as the Common Hawker went up to the tree tops, a very smart Silver-washed Fritillary came and posed for us - wish I'd taken the camera instead of the li'l scope! [[Though the last time I was there in daylight, having the scope got me that Alpine... Decisions, decisions!]]

Right, I think that'll do..

No comments:

Post a Comment