18 August, 2010

Why Birds Can Seriously Damage Your Health


Birding really ought to carry a health warning, you know...

So, I was driving back from work this afternoon;

"Hmm, what's that?"
"Probably a Buzzard"
"A funny-looking Buzzard....its always a Buzzard"
"It's not a Buzzard - holy shit its a Red Kite and its really low!!"
[At this point, with an mpv right behind me, a minivan coming on fast the other way, and not a hope of being able to stop, I decided it might be a good idea to watch the road..]

Wasn't that exciting? A lot better than 'I saw a Red Kite on my way home from work today, it was nice and low and watchable, but unfortunately there was no way that I could stop safely.'

In other news, my Work List has reached a mighty 26 - unfortunately, the Kite was way outside the designated area [lunchbreak stroll range], as was a juv. male Sprawk last Friday.. Maybe a Commuting List too? No, no, that would be silly.

EDIT: 19/8 ;
Additional news - Robin's starting singing! Reported as such yesterday, and heard it myself this morning. My Work List is now 27, thanks to a nice Stock Dove, and I'm hopeful I'll be able to add an interesting gull, just as soon as one gets close enough for my work bins! [My old old Ranger 8x30s!]
Also, finally noticed that the Mighty Gavin Haig* has re-started NQS!

In honour of this joyous news, I'm going to mention something non-birdy that we share - malt whisky and the enjoyment thereof! Malt is my tipple of choice [As I do not drink... wine ;) ] and I usually have a couple of bottles on the go [never have much, mind, just a wee dram to savour of an evening..] Currently these are Glen Elgin [very nice Speyside] and Ardmore [quite smoky for a Highland].

So, as I had recently gotten myself a lovely new job, I decided to be very very very naughty and celebrate with a bottle I'd been eyeing ever since I first noticed those wonderful people up at Dart's Farm had acquired some really decent drink [in addition to their excellent range of proper beer]... Two words to raise the neck hairs of the Islay Aficionado... Octomore Orpheus.
;D
I've not opened it yet. I'm trying to show some restraint {you know, other than spending how much!?! on a bottle of whisky...}, and so its waiting its turn. Sitting there, full of quiet promise.


*[[His legendary blog was the main inspiration for my starting this thing up... Oh dear.]]

No comments:

Post a Comment