11 October, 2010

Post-Work Twitch II, The Revenge


HOLY SHIT!!!!!

That was my response to looking at my computer screen last night. I forgot to blog, I was so excited...

So, for anyone in Colombia who hasn't heard... Steve "Superman" Waite found a Solitary Sandpiper in The Backwater yesterday evening. A First For Devon, no less. I think the nickname is justified, don't you?

After last week's 'Only Birder in Devon To Dip Buff-breast' Saga, there were naturally questions;
Would it stay? Would it survive? Could I get from Totnes to Colyford and then yomp down to the Black Hole before it got too dark to see?

Oh hell yeah....

:D

What a bird. What a bird. Close range, prolonged views, feeding, preening, flight, sitting looking decorative, alert posture... Wow. Lit by the late afternoon sun to glowing eyeringed perfection. Wow. I know I say wow a lot, but this time it's justified.

The day had been one of some tension, with a heady burst of frustration as 3 grey goose spp. flew downriver - not Canadas, not Greylags - beyond that I can't say a thing as they were past and upsun before I could get a good look... So close. Oh well. The Cormorants also stayed just out of range, though the Kingfisher flew by again [I'm almost getting used to it.. Which is quite a thing in and of itself :) ]

Sunday had me suitably unavailable for twitching Short-toed Larks - being up in the mist at Fernworthy! It was gorgeous up there, really wonderful, [though I did half expect Mulder and Scully to appear through the trees - it was a real X-Files fog ;) ]. Eventually the sun came out and it warmed up no end, though enough haze remained to put paid to any long views. Before that we were treated to many Crossbills - at first shapes and calls in the mist, but then some very good views and the full-on sleigh bells experience of a big flock up close! :D Also present, or rather passing, were the first thrushes of winter - 8 Redwing and then no less than 19 Mistle Thrush - while a Common Hawker was still on patrol below the dam.

Finally - if you take a look at Joe's blog, in the twitch shot for the Green Heron you can just see a bit of me. It's mostly hat [and no, I'm not the guy at the front!] but still, genuine Backward Birder caught on camera....

No comments:

Post a Comment