19 November, 2010

Hits and Misses


The gap, after my post-a-day antics? Still smarting over what might have been, of course....

To look on the bright side, a) at least there was a Pallid on my Patch and b) if I hadn't been at work I'd almost certainly have been at Berry Head and would probably have had a seizure.... ;)

A quick note of kudos to [Famous Devon Birder] for publishing his notes - very helpful to the rest of us!

Right then. It has not been a week entirely bereft of birdily goodness for me - a sinensis sighting would have been the highlight if I hadn't been half awake this morning; two calidrids flying low upriver didn't elude me [or one of my co-workers, who asked "Well, what were those, then?" after they'd passed] though I was rather surprised at what they were - Curlew Sands! November is pretty late for them, though maybe as they were 1cy birds they were just lost? [Or maybe they'd decided that enough was enough when it came to this migration nonsense.. ;) ]

I still haven't seen Derek, even distantly, and am starting to think he must have buggered off. I did get a lovely view of the smaller, spotty Grey Seal yesterday. Drifting downriver on the falling tide first thing, it exhaled, the frosty breath billowed over the mirror-smooth water, it seemed to pause for a moment, then began to repeatedly breath out - I swear it was watching it's breath! Wonderful to witness.... :D

Weather and daylight rapidly put a stop to Operation Berry Bushes, as you probably didn't need telling. First sighting of a Blackcap was also yesterday - a male came in looking for the fat block [which isn't there yet...]. Also a brief Goldfinch - a real garden rarity!

Things may be about to get a bit thin for a while, as between work and That Time Of Year commitments there won't be so much birding.. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment