02 December, 2010

Waxwings??


I see from [Other Birding News Services Are Available]'s map that 45 Waxwings were reported somewhere in the Preston area this afternoon. Anyone know anything about this? I can find no info, and have an understandable curiosity about such happenings on my patch...

In other news, I am once more consigned to the scrapheap - so my Work List has ended at 65. Rats. I was treated to a glorious [if unsuccessful] Sprawk attack on my last day - a female missed a female Pied Wag by a whisker whilst giving a dozen Mallard, a couple of gulls and a passing crow [which the wily Sprawk had been following as cover!] near heart attacks, this happening less than 20' from my disbelieving eyes during the morning duck feed! Also the Starlings have continued to pass in the mornings - on Monday in smaller groups low over the river and on Tuesday in a big swirly mass along the ridge again. :)

A record 29+ House sparrow out back today, with 8+ Chaffinch and 7+ Greenfinch. It's been a good year for the Sparrows [so much for what a certain 'scientist' thinks]. Still no sign of all this weather - it's been cold and windy, and we had icing sugar dustings of snow on Tuesday - but no icy roads, no snow drifts, and a feeling of being in a parallel dimension to everywhere else...

2 comments: