17 March, 2011

Golden Carpets


It's not just Bluebells, you know. Find the right wooded valleys at this time of year and the daffydowndillies are something else...

Due to [CENSORSHIP REASONS] I'm going to be no clearer about where I went, but it was lovely. This came after my original choice [Yarner to dip Lesser Pecker again and map the nest boxes {because their esoteric numbering system has been quietly bugging me for years..}] turned out to be full of primary school children. Joy of joys. Don't get me wrong, now. I approve of primary school children going to Yarner - my first visits there were as a primary school child, and despite it absolutely pissing down every single time, I acquired a love of the place I retain to this day - I just would rather not be there at the same time. The living velvety silence you can find among the trees isn't child compatible, unfortunately.

So I turned my little car around and went elsewhere. Also full, though more retired couples and dog walkers. What will you do? Accept your karma with as much grace as you can muster and meander around to the bit people don't bother with so much as it requires climbing very steep slopes and navigating great big 'orrible muddy puddles. Some shameless detouring and hanging back got me a few patches of quiet. Well, until the RAF put in a fly-by; GR4s with Storm Shadows under their wings - yes, they were low enough to clearly ID the ordnance - Tornados are noisy buggers.... [[I'm reminded of the first time I saw a Tornado close to, but that's a longer digression.]]

Getting back on track.. I amazed myself by actually hearing a LSW. Little git waited until I was on the other side of the river before calling, so it could escape unseen, but I heard it! A couple of Dipper views were also forthcoming, and the Grey Wags showed quite well. Yomping up a hill for lunch, I met some partridges - flushing a couple of Red-leggeds and finding the remains of a Grey. There were plenty of singing Chiffchaffs spread around - a whole lot more than on my Patch, where the sum total for this year is still 0... Tut. [I gave it another big bash yesterday, but to no avail.]

It was a pleasant wander on a warm sunny day. Ok, warm sunny morning, as it did get a bit nippier as the day wore on and cloud and wind picked up. It also marked the first day this year that The Silly Hat got worn. Summer is a' Cumen In.

:D

PYL: 98

No comments:

Post a Comment