20 March, 2011

Here Comes Summer.


Well, since last I posted I have mostly been diligently jobseeking in a variety of manners. This involved going out in the rain on Friday and staying in out of the sun on Saturday, which is getting things backwards in a nicely ironic way. But what can you do?

Stop blathering about that and get on with the birds, probably..

This is going to be a short post [[No, really.]] So some highlights; Goldcrest repeatedly in the Garden :) No Patch Year Ticks - that's right, still no sign of any Chiffs. [[I'm starting to suspect a conspiracy...]]. One single GC Grebe off Blackball yesterday. A Buzzard having a go at a Woodpig [It missed but gave the pig one hell of a fright!].

Today we defied the threat of cloud and rain to go up on't Moor again. Forecasters' failure meant blazing sunshine and a cool breeze. Result. Princetown to Plym Ford to Erme Head to Ducks' Pool to Fox Tor, to the sound of a chorus of Skylarks, Mipits and... er, Crows, Ravens and Buzzards... It was fun, nobody fell in the water, and Tillbury Dog had a right old time. We met our first lizard! of the year - a Green Flavour*, the little tart even posed for us. The Ten Tors lot were again out in force, so never less than a dozen people in sight at any time [this is the fourth reason why I don't like the Ten Tors, btw]. One poor group had been forced to wear bright pink high-vis jackets [[I did try my best to wait until I was out of earshot to snigger, really I did.. ;) ]], but other than that there was a marked lack of daftness; especially silly hats, which is a poor show, if you ask me.

[[*Lizard!s come in 4 flavours - Brown, Grey, Grey and Green, and Green - I don't hold with this whole 'species' nonsense.. ;) ]]

To get back to birds and end on a high; on the journey out I heard my first singing Yellowhammer of the year. :)

[[Short post. Not bad, eh?]]

No comments:

Post a Comment