25 April, 2011

It's All Circles, You Know.


Funny how things come around, isn't it? Those of you who've been reading my blog for a while may remember last April [and those who don't and are really curious* can always click that link and find out..] when on a Sunday I went up on't Moor with the Folks [not an uncommon occurrence, true], taking in Fernworthy and it's Tripits and Redstarts, then the next day I twitched and dipped the Marazion Savi's Warbler.

[[*Some may say masochistic. Or just really desperate for sleep...]]

So, Kestor - Fernworthy - Sittaford Tor - Quintin's Man - Teignhead Farm. Blazing sunshine, a mimicking Tripit [the bastard bird did a passable Bee-eater and nearly gave me a heart attack...]* but only one Redstart and that the usual shy retiring type. There was a veritable chorus line of Siskins, low-flying Crossbills and Redpoll, and best of all a gorgeous if rather hissy male Adder. :D The latter I found and Tilly thankfully got nowhere near to. On a less fun note, it seems a group of Ten Torsies were unaware of how bad an idea it is to a) take a meths burner onto the Moor when its so dry, b) set it up in long grass, c) set it up in a way that it can fall over, d) you get the idea.... The grass fire resulting was very impressive to look at, with the wind blowing it along the River Dart, and carefully placed so the Fire Brigade had a long yomp to put it out. Well done, kids. On a less sarcastic note, I thought there was supposed to be at least some training as to how to behave up there? I know they ignore 'Take home your rubbish', but the one about how grass fires can kill you ought to have sunk in... I think its about time they set a limit on numbers and gave proper training beyond 'Are you fit enough to make it and can you read a map well enough to not get lost?'

Ahem.

To happier topics. Such as my heading down to Slapton this evening and seeing the Savi's Warbler, which after making me wait eventually showed very well indeed. :D You could hear it reeling from the road, and a line of happy birders leaving as I arrived just before 8:00 seemed promising. Kudos is due at this point to the FSC, for letting us have access to see the bird - it is possible you might get it from the road, but nowhere nearly as well. Arriving at the viewing point, the Savi's was reeling away, but not where it could be seen! As the light faded, it came up from near the base of the reeds, and eventually reeled and preened right up at bulrush level. After about 20 minutes of this, it decided to take a break and dropped back down, so with the light fading fast I called it a very good night. Cetti's, Reed and Sedge Warblers, plus Chiffs and Blackcaps added to the orchestra on a very nice [apart from the mossies] evening. Also, a Weasel on the way out and a couple of large bat sp. on the way back.

In between times I've been bashing the Patch. No Yearticks to add, but another Lesser Whitethroat, a Garden Warbler and a couple of very nice Whitethroats made fighting my way through a plague of Robber Flies today worthwhile. There's been much watching of the skies, but no Swifts yet, no Red Kites or Ospreys [drat and double drat...] flying over - or if they did the gulls pretended not to see them! No sign of this heatwave breaking yet, either. I missed a 'brown damselfly' laying eggs in the pond [I have no idea, either], but did see a nice male Large Red at Tessier. I'm keeping eyes open for Vagrant Emperors, which would be a Lifer for me, but no joy yet.


*EDIT
Its 2012 and I've spoken to a birder of vast experience. 8000+ experience.. He thinks a Tripit doing a Bee-eater is nigh on impossible, but that Bee-eaters can be clearly heard calling even when flying too high to see even with bins. SHIT. Shit shit shit shit shit. There was a Bee-eater where I was and I didn't get eyes on it.
FUCK.....
I'm a very very very unhappy birder.

No comments:

Post a Comment