07 May, 2011

Fingers in Ears Time...


"Iiiiiiiiii'mmm Biirdin' in the raaiin, just biiiirdin' in the raaiiin, what a gloooorrious feeelin', Iiiii'm haappy agaaaiiin....."

Ahem.

Just be grateful it's type, that's all I'm saying.


So, first working week in new job complete, I'm alive and relatively undamaged, so 'tis time to bash the Patch. Poor thing, it's been months since it went so long without my tender ministrations, and you can see the damage! On IMD near the Nose, the council has helpfully strimmed the hedge right down, exposing the gap in the bank and some nice person has backed a van into said gap [you can see the marks very clearly] and flytipped half a ton of rubbish down the cliffside. @$&§@$^%§&£% * On a more pleasant note, the trees are very leafy now. This would come in handy.

[[* Ancient Devonian swear-words, which I'm not allowed to translate.]]

Since their arrival on Tuesday, Swift numbers have been building nicely; today they were joined by Swallows [presumably pausing on passage] and the first on-Patch House Martins. It was quite a flying display, slightly marred by the great big 'airy dog that objected noisily to me occupying my usual vantage point. Moving swiftly on, most of my patrol came up with nothing new or otherwise report-worthy until I had a look at the sea from the Nose. In between rain showers, 5 Sandwich Terns and a Bonxie went past south. Woo. As the showers turned into heavy rain, I took shelter under a handy Sycamore until the worst of it had passed, then worked my way homewards. Incidentally, do you know how hard it is to get on a Blackcap in a newly come into leaf Sweet Chestnut? Very blimmin' hard. Go look at one - the great bunches of leaves are ridiculous...


PYL: 118

No comments:

Post a Comment