11 June, 2011

Lazy Hypocritical Birding


But before I get on to that, I have very good news from the Patch! As I was doing stuff instead of going on a Wild Thrush Hunt, I had the chance to have a good check around the Patch and have found to my delight that there are at least 7 pairs of House Martins present this year! It may be small fry in the greater scheme of things, but compared to the usual 4 ±1 we get in our little colony, I'm chuffed. This is also a minimum figure, so you never know. It does have to be said that all this dry weather has had an effect on nest-building, with their efforts mostly looking more like those of Swallows [though they have found some well sheltered spots, so maybe it's going to be ok, and it is wetter now].

Ok, to the title bit;
I didn't go off to the west side of t'Moor looking to see if the BRT was there or not. Why did I cop out? Well, though I have had Real Life Stuff to do, I would have gone anyway except for two inconvenient facts; the Army are firing on Willsworthy today - which is right next to the site in question and over a nice damselfly site by it - and the weather's a bit iffy for said damsels. If it had been only one, I'd have gone 'Ah, to hell with the Army' or 'Ah, to hell with the weather'. Yes, if it had been seen this Thursday rather than Thursday week, that would have helped too. And petrol costs a fortune.

I will be heading up that way [maybe not tomorrow, mind...] some time this month, weather allowing, and I'll be keeping a careful eye out, to be sure. Who knows?

End on a happy note;
Oh, those House Martins are wonderful! So neat and dapper when perched, such a cheerful call, and that flight action that falls nicely between Swift and Swallow. It's good to see them, fair lifts the step, it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment