23 July, 2011

It's A Big White Gull With Brown Bits


He said, thus winning the 'Best Description of a 2s Glonk' award for 2011.

Yes, I found myself at the Otter today. I say the Otter, rather than Budleigh Salterton beach, because, contrary to ALL reports, it was not there. I know, for I yomped all the way down and all the way back in't blazing sun with the Big Scope over my shoulder and the stares of slack-jawed emmets on my back... Ahem.

Right, so the Glaucous Gull was loafing with the big group of assorted ne'er do wells at the bottom of the estuary, looking big and white and Glonky. Before and after that, the Cattle Egret had performed very well indeed, considerately traipsing up and down in front of the west hide and even pausing to pose next to a Little Egret. What a lovely bird. Unsurprisingly, there was not a sniff of Rose-coloured Starling [or any ordinary ones, either], but never mind, worth a look.

The Folks had come along, for a nice stroll along the Otter is one of our favourite walks, and while they enjoyed looking at the Egret [they'd even come to twitch the last one - back when they were rare - which is another story], dragging Tilly along the prom and keeping her from going bonkers at the gull did not appeal. So they took Tilbury off upriver to tangle her extendo-lead in the bushes and swim in the river [fortunately not at the same time]. She had fun - one day she'll learn what Grey Mullet are, and then her sorties into the Otter will get really interesting.. ;)

To be fair, the gull didn't really appeal to them either [very sane, really] - interesting to look at, but not worth traipsing up and down the shingle for. Perhaps my description, though Award Winning, didn't help, though I suppose Glonks aren't exactly oil paintings. Impressive, yes, and a good well-worn one in flight is certainly a sight, but loitering in a gull flock at scope range? Yeah, I understand where they're coming from. I still enjoyed it though. I have a bit of history with Glonks - only seen one before and dipped every one I'd twitched, so there was no small amount of satisfaction, oh yes.

This morning I had a pleasant surprise out the window - at least 3 Willow Warblers were working the trees and bushes out the back. Having had a Reed Warbler doing the same thing last year, I can confidently call them migrants taking a quick food stop before Channel-hopping. Its been a long time since Willows bred on the hill... :(


No comments:

Post a Comment