24 July, 2011

Wacky Races..


The big news today was of an adult Stilt Sandpiper being found this morning at Lodmoor in Dorset, then promptly lost again.

"Drat and double drat" said I, as I went from all fired-up for a twitch after one of the more desirable vagrant waders to sudden deflation - it looked like it had pulled a PGP.

Ok, on with my morning pootling about the place, not seeing anything spectacular. I'm just about to get some lunch when I think 'Ah, I'll just have a quick looksee online..' - "WTF!!"

One journey that was conducted in an entirely safe and legal manner later*, I was yomping along the seaward side of Lodmoor, then climbing up the [very thistley] bank and setting up the Big Scope to drool over this gorgeous yank. Oh yes, definitely gorgeous, also distant, prone to hide behind stuff and very well camouflaged compared to the three Green Sands also present. I spent a merry hour and a half watching it, munching what I'd grabbed for lunch [You know the mantra; "A flapjack is a birder's friend!"] and trying to do something approaching a field sketch [You'd think I'd get better at it, wouldn't you? Nope.]. I stopped off to coo over the Common Tern colony before heading back, a happy birder with another Tick. :D

[[*But that did include a nice Corn Bunting and a couple of Stock Doves, stereotypically by an actual corn field - being stuck behind sunday drivers has the odd plus side..]]

No comments:

Post a Comment