20 August, 2011

Migrants Fast and Skulky


The trees are turning and the birds are migrating; it's Autumn, folks!

I gave the Patch a bash today, concentrating on the Nose and aiming for migrants. I got lucky and managed to avoid getting soaked, so consider the day a win. Best bird was doubtless the juvenile Hobby which shot past low overhead and powered off out to sea - heading SE, not for Berry Head - as I arrived at the top gate. WOW!

It was a glorious way to arrive, though it may also explain why there were so few passerine migrants in evidence... ;)

Other than a few Chiffs and some Goldfinches, the only definite migrant was a Garden Warbler, which gave me an interesting burst of sub-song from a very tricky to get at position on the cliff scrub by IMD. I eventually nailed the little git [the song had me going WTF - not what I'm used to from them, it sounded very odd and thus potentially interesting] though not without having to half-climb into a wasp-infested bush overhanging a fair drop to be able to see the right spot. You know, I've always thought carrying an MP3 player of bird calls was a bit like cheating, but I'm starting to think it might be an idea. Memorising a call and checking on CD and BWPi is all very well, but not so good when you're on the spot wondering if something needs hunting down and getting eyes on. History and geography show that sooner or later there's going to be an interesting sylvia on my patch and I need to be ready to know what to hang about all day for and what I can leave where it is...

On a lighter note, and a very light and happy one it is - family party of LTTs on the Hill! :D Great to see after two hard winters.

No comments:

Post a Comment