11 September, 2011

Back To The Nose


The forecast didn't seem so promising for today, so instead of getting down early for more seawatching, I toddled down later, via a Patch patrol, to see if the Wryneck was feeling more reasonable.

Needless to say, it wasn't - with more bods wandering about and even more wind than yesterday, I don't really blame it, either. Only real Patch news was more Chiffchaffs holed up, presumably waiting for the wind to ease so they can bugger off somewhere sunnier. Having wandered about the bushes where the Wryneck may well still be hiding and sticking it's tongue out at me, I couldn't help but turn my bins on the sea to see what was passing close by.

Half an hour later, when my arms had had enough, I decided that it was time to stop... A Balearic and at least 8 Manx north, with 3 Kittiwakes and a constant passage of Gannets south, plus a lot more out of bin range. Also 2 Razorbill and 2 LBB past south and a Little Grebe [!] went whizzing by north. Even more interesting was a juvenile/immature diver sat on the sea by the Lead Stone - it looked like a Black-throat [but no scope means 'diver sp.' only, alas] and certainly vanished like one! On a more fun note, a [probably 3cy] Gannet flew past exhibiting the plumage and a fair attempt at the shape and flight action of a Streaked Shearwater! They truly are the Buzzards of the sea... ;)

It really is very interesting, this gathering of shearwaters in Lyme Bay, isn't it? Fascinating what a little sustained wind can do - I wonder how long they'll stay?

No comments:

Post a Comment