22 October, 2011

And Another One...


I decided to not set my alarm this morning and get up as and when - after about 33 hours without sleep I figured it was wise to let my body recover. Hmm... Waking up in the middle of the day is not something I've done for a while. Drat. Oh well, I'm sure I needed it.

Seeing that I'd made a very wise decision in not going to cornwall, I decided instead to give the Patch a mighty bash and see what fell out. I walked a big loop around the Torquay peninsula, giving most attention to the north side [the wind was brisk and southerly, so it seemed a good idea]. For the most part there were the usual suspects, with Bullfinches and surprise Siskins [in Upton Vale of all places] coming in for the podium places. No, not a sniff of the Yellow-brow at Hopes Nose. But of course.

The fun bit started on Babbacombe Downs, with a fly-by. It was a finchy sparrowy looking passerine with slighty greyish brown uppers and very white underparts - even the underwings, tips of the flight feathers were darker, giving a fringe but that was it. It flew past heading east at clifftop height. I have no idea what it was. Anyway, I figured it probably wasn't stopping any time soon, but just in case it was I'd give Sannox a look. 'Glen Sannox' is the name somebody with a deficient grasp of locale has given the little valley [come gully] leading down to Babbacombe Beach [[Home of a road with a 45° slope - it's fun to drive...]]. It annoys me, but I'm not going to rant about it. Any more than I just have. But it is also the site of a restored garden, which is a lovely little spot. Apart from the drunks, druggies, and 'characters' who are drawn there. If you're ever in the area, take a look. But I'd advise against trying to drive down to the beach, really I would ;)

Right then... So, I headed around the Theatre, following the twisty little path and keeping an eye out for, er, whatever it was. I didn't find it. But I did find another Firecrest. :D I spent 10 [yes, 10!] glorious minutes watching it work through the evergreen trees [I'm rubbish at trees]], viewing down to less than 10' at eye level, plus everything up to right overhead. It was brilliant! I was grinning so much that I think I unnerved several probably innocent lone passers-by. To think of all the grief that one on IMD caused me earlier in the year... Birding, eh?

Annnd finally - as the council have kindly given the gulls their pontoon back, I gave it a look. 23 Herrings, 2 Geebs and a BHG. Wow.





Hey Starbuck, fetch me my harpoon....

No comments:

Post a Comment