27 December, 2011

Persistence


Does not always pay off. Its been more than 2 weeks now, with no more than the odd distant 'That might be it..' to show for my efforts. The phrase "Sod it" springs to mind, I must admit...

I went so far as to go off-Patch, up to Watcombe Beach, and then clamber over the rocks out around the bend to look along the coast. Which was quite fun, if a little interesting, with ice-like weed and cheesegrater-like barnacles to vary the grip. Plus surprise rockpools very high up on boulders [Arg]. Said boulders were rather distracting too, with a very interesting selection of clasts [they being Permian conglomerate/breccia/brecciomerate].

As to birds.. Razorbills and Guillemots fishing right in the surf [and teeny surf, too]. A Red-throated Diver well off Oddicombe on the 25th. Biggest gull roost on the 26th with 550+, biggest GC Grebe roost today with 42. Song Thrushes suddenly started singing all over the shop on the 25th and have kept it up since.

Today I had a good yomp to work off some of the crimbo blubber - I walked over to Cockington and right up to Occombe Farm. There being a report of Marsh Tits there, and they would be not just a Patch Yeartick but a full-on Patch Tick. I found not a sniff of them, though a gorgeous female GSW came to the near-empty peanut feeder by the hide and gave me one hell of a view as she tried to work out how to twist round to get to the remaining nuts. This came at the end of the 5 whole minutes in which the hide was still and quiet - ie. when I had the place to myself! I'm not complaining; its Occombe Farm - you're going to get dudes, civilians, kids, more kids.... The Blue and Great Tits were pretty bomb-proof, it has to be said. A male Bullfinch sat and posed for some admiring folks [despite being described as 'orange'. I mean, come on...]

Before I got there I saw 70+ Redwing and 8 Mistle Thrush in one of the fields, which was nice [oddly no Fieldfares]. 2 Nuthatches were messing about in the hedge by the lane like they were Dunnocks or something, unusual but nice views. A Crow gave a Raven some hassle, then another Raven arrived and the Crow had a really bad day.. :D

On my way back down I went through Scadson's Woods, and saw what had been done there. :( I know they 'need' to destroy every Larch in Devon, but they've put a road through that valley. As in cut right into the hillside and fill a surface of builder's rubble. Are they going to undo this when they're done? Repair the slope so it doesn't wash away? Insert cynical comment of your choice, folks.

Returning via the sea front, there were very few large gulls around [and all Herrings and Geebs], but well over 250 BHGs, plus Grey Heron and Little Egret on the exposed rocks. The [very slim, I know] hopes of a non-Mallard duck or even a Mute Swan for the Yearlist were dashed, of course. It would be nice to have a proper chunk of fresh water on the Patch, you know... Oh, well.


No comments:

Post a Comment