31 March, 2012

Just A[nother] Quickie


The conditions looked promising for migrants today so I dragged myself off to The Bolt. Long story short; tons of phylloscs and bugger all Ouzels. I did have a close encounter with the female Merlin which has been wintering in the area - as I flushed her from right by the path! Bugger...

I tried staring at the sea [and the only nice Ouzel-friendly slopes not likely disturbed by passers by - took a little scrambling to get the viewpoint, mind..] and got one passing LBB, a small group of Gannets [albeit diving in their usual spectacular fashion] and nothing else passing but yachts and twerps in power boats.. Drat.

Giving up, I tried Slapton, [no Kentish, of course, but I don't count it as a dip as it buggered off yesterday morning, didn't it?] where there was no sign to be had of any Garganey. I met [Devon Birder], who hadn't had any luck either. The Beast of Beesands was present, as was my first Sarnie of the year*. I headed inland, where a couple more Willow Warblers and a fair number of Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs were the best of it. The plastic duckies were nice, though. Especially the Wood Ducks [they seem to be down an male? ;) ] and Ruddy Shelducks. Ahem.





*I'm not chasing a Devon yearlist, but I am keeping count, and that makes 150. Wow...

No comments:

Post a Comment