23 March, 2012

A Little Cracker


Still not the mind-wrenching avalanche of drivel big update, but instead a quick [maybe] and happy [definitely] burble on today!

When news broke on Monday of the Little Bunting [yes, thus the horrific pun..] at South Milton Ley DBWPS, I thought to myself.. "Ooh, I need that for Devon." I also thought "There was good reason why I named the Cornish bird the Little Bastard wasn't there?" With no news of firm sightings, I decided to hold fire, especially as you usually need sunshine and light winds to get them up where you can see them.

Today I thought "Right, enough's enough - time to tick or dip trying!" [[I really do apologise for that one]]. The mistyfog faded as I headed into the Deep South of Devon and blazing sunshine boded well. The Bunting is hanging around on the DBWPS reserve, stuffing it's face on provided grain [kindly donated by Soar Mill Seeds, give them some custom, folks!], vaguely associating with a bunch of Reed Buntings and frequently getting attacked by Blue Tits [?].

As you may have deduced from that paragraph, I did indeed see the bird, and very well too. :D The Big Scope helped, its not easy bin range. A clothes peg might have helped, too, as the site is literally next to the local sewage works - compensation is in the form of Cetti's Warbler and Chiffchaffs. The Little Bunting is, well, a bit of a git if it decides it doesn't like you. You may jam straight on to it, but for an unfortunate few, such as the Finder and [Very Famous Devon Birder], its very elusive. I got lucky, with a very good sustained view, 2 good ones and 3 short views in three hours. Basically, you need to give it time, have your scope ready, and watch out for the sneaky Reeds. A couple of the females have ear covert spots, one of those with a very chestnutty cheek, and one is very pale and Little-y underneath - though bins its very hard to pick. The Little is utterly distinctive through a scope [that eye ring, the wingbar, the sheer stripeyness of its head etc..] though, when it does show up.

It was a nice twitch, leaning on a gate, chatting with many of Devon's finest and a few visitors [including a chap down from Warks, for whom it was a Lifer] and playing spot the pop-up Buntings.. Lovely place, there. Almost forgot, a heap of butterflies on the wing - Red Admiral, Peacock, Tortoiseshell, an early Green-veined White [Ok, that's about the limit of my knowledge!] in balmy temperatures of 17° [according the my li'l car's thermometer]. It really does feel like June...


No comments:

Post a Comment