03 June, 2012

Green Eyed Monster


If you're a poor innocent mozzie, anyway. To me, it's more of a gem. I write of the Downy Emerald Dragonfly - jade eyes on a waspish metallic dark green body - a fast, low flying odonate of tree-lined ponds.

Yesterday I went to Little Bradley seeking them - it being warm [ok, near-stiflingly humid] and calm. I duly scored, though the little bugger waited until I'd gotten the camera set up and ready before buggering off for good! Drat. Not that there'd been much chance of getting a good [ok, recognisable] picture, but what the hell, worth a try?

Anyway.. Before that I'd been at Exminster, where the Garganey once again eluded me and there was no sign of the Pec Sand. I had to console myself with the snazzy Spoonbill - which actually moved! - and Glossy Ibis. Yeah, real tragedy, that  ;)

Finally, I went to asecretplace to see if I could find namelessbirds, without any luck.

Today I had more lovely work, but after I escaped, I went for a wander about Yarner with the Folks. Tillbury was in especially frisky mood, charging about like an even madder dervish. Fortunately, the birds weren't too bothered by her antics, with Wood Warblers and Pied Flycatchers showing well - though not in huge numbers [the rain may have had a hand in that]. First time I've had more Woodies than Pied Flies, though our route was a likely reason. Redstart and Spot Fly were present though less obliging and once again no sign of LSW. Yarner is fully green now, with the leaves making it a proper challenge to pick up birds in the canopy. Its amazing the changes the seasons bring - but I've babbled about this more than once.

So.. with the Jubilee, I have a nice week off work [the Powers That Be deciding it's simpler to just have a shut down]. Cue the rain but not wind! And still no fragging Kites, I'm sure...


No comments:

Post a Comment