11 June, 2012

Little June Showers


A welcome week off comes to an end, with the joys of work beckoning once more.

But before that...

On Saturday I decided that it was time for a break from all the sitting around staring at the waves and went up on't Moor to get some proper exercise. Naturally, the weather was a great deal wetter and windier than forecast and a whole shedload of Stormies went unseen by me. Oh well and so on..

Starting from Kestor Rock, I skirted Fernworthy to Teignhead Farm, before turning towards Watern Tor. I then came back over the Teign to Kestor via Shovel Down. Nice and simple.

Not the original plan, mind.. I'd intended an early stop at Teignhead, then up Hangingstone Hill and on to Wild Tor and maybe even Cosdon Beacon, but an attack of ticks put paid to the former [Teignhead is one of the tickiest places going, alas] and the weather made me rethink the latter. Heading up onto that ridge is great and all, but sideways rain does put a crimp in plans to enjoy the views. Also, a veritable horde of happy hikers clustered atop Cosdon made me question the whole 'If it's raining at least you get some privacy' thing..

Anyway. There were juvie Wheatears, which were adorable, also young Stonechats, Mipits, Skylarks.. :)  The Moor was pretty damp, the watercourses high, and while it wasn't really cold [it is still June, they assure me] it didn't feel like summer. I did manage to fill in one of those little gaps on the map where I hadn't set foot - yes, that is a bog and yes that ford is knee-deep...

Yesterday it rained. Quite a lot. Then it rained some more. With light winds I waited the weather out before heading to the Nose, hoping for something too wimpy to fly in high winds... ;)

No joy in that regard, or indeed in regards to any skuas, but the two hours I gave the brisk NNE did produce a Black Tern, so I can't complain! :D A few Manxies passed, mostly north, Gannets, Kittiwakes and Fulmars, too. 2 Common Scoter went south. No Stormies - no slick and onshore winds didn't help - but a Harbour Porpoise put in a brief appearance.

It was worth the trip, and made me wonder if I shouldn't have just proofed up and spent the day there.. Roll on the weekend! ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment