10 August, 2012

Scorchio!


Sorry about that one...

Well, work's been fun. For a given definition of 'fun' that includes unleashing the Horror of me in shorts upon my poor unsuspecting colleagues... Oh those poor bastards.


;)


Just a quick update, though it might get extended later..

Right then, today I braved the baking heat to go chasing poor innocent odonata again. Over to Smallhanger I did toddle, where the brisk breeze kept the action limited to wherever there was some shelter. And indeed there was a LOT of action, as you'd expect from what is probably the single best place for dragons in Devon. [Well, unless you stock up on chav repellent and try Stover - the two are pretty close]. Azures and Emeralds made up the bulk of the damsels - unsurprising at this time of year -  likewise with darters forming the majority of the dragons.

There were a good number of Keeled Skimmers to be found, with all the hawker types represented, but only a single Broad-bodied Chaser. I only found a single Scarce Blue-tail, but there were plenty of Small Reds as compensation. Though the little bastards made a habit of flying just as I'd set up a shot and was squeezing the shutter! I eventually took the hint and started playing  the 'ID The Not-An-Adult-Male Darter' game. Exercise in masochism self-education. Helps when you realise that the 'big ones' are Keeled Skimmers...

There were a few birds about, too. Swallows, with a cheering number of juveniles among them, and the odd martin were passing eastward. A family of Bullfinches livened lunch up, but the hoped-for fly-over raptor failed to materialise. I went for a shufti over to the other side, and found a couple of fishing ponds I didn't know existed, plus a few more little dinky pools.

A couple of other Fearless Hunters showed up as I was on my way out, but aside from them and the odd dog walker I had the place to myself. Which was nice; aircraft aside it was pretty peaceful, just a constant buzz of busy wings..


No comments:

Post a Comment