02 September, 2012

Stripy-headed Gits...


So I was at Exminster yesterday, specifically hanging about the Turf Hotel watching the waders and hoping for an Osprey to come flapping past. Yes, I know there was one there, but did I see it? Nope. I have no idea how I managed to miss a bird which is not only the size of the proverbial flying barn door, but also seemed to have gone right past me..?!?!??

Oh well. There were nice waders, mostly far away of course - I blame the bloody canoeists - counts of 245 Dunlin, 11 Knot, 9 Ringo and 6 Grey Plover, plus plenty of Redshank, Curlew and Godwits.

Also worth a try was my trip for the morning tide to Bowling Green today, with a nice Garganey top of the shopping list. Naturally, the resident bird made itself scarce. The Osprey, however, sat on the stone barge for half an hour. Tart. :)

While waiting to see if the Garganey would come out of it's pet channels, I did a little counting*;
Spotshank 1
Redshank ~230
Curlew ~380
Dunlin ~75
Knot 15+
Whimbrel 2+
Blackwit ~650
Barwit 5+
Snipe 1
Little Egret 32
Wigeon 19
Shoveler 6+
Pochard 2
Tufty 2
Little Grebe 5 adult 2 juvenile 2-3 downy young

[*Many counts approximate due to the waders being very tightly packed]

After admitting defeat, this afternoon I had a consolation wander about Yarner with the Folks. Tilly saw some Fallow Deer, so she was delighted [they were less happy, it must be said]. We met few birds, unsurprisingly, but a gorgeous and showy male Southern Hawker, plus some wonderful Fritillaries - a male Silver-washed actually sat still and posed! [I didn't take my camera...] were well worth the walk. Yarner is still very very green and with a lack of distracting birds, you can appreciate the plants.


I almost typed that with a straight face, you know.
;)

Going back to Friday, I took that last weekday firing-free, to take a yomp up on't Moor. It's been a long while and I could feel that lack of practice every step from Lanehead up to the top of Hare Tor. Taking the opportunity to collapse have a quick rest while I regretted not taking a defibrillator admired the scenery, I watched a couple of farmers moving sheep from horseback. Onward I headed, over the Rattlebridge to Green Tor, where I stopped for an early lunch and a good thing I did.

Hobby! Heading west [same as a fair few passing Swallows], it suddenly noticed a Mipit.. The ensuing action took the breath away; the falcon attacked like a Peregrine, climbing rapidly then stooping on the fleeing passerine. The Mipit, though, was no easy meal, as it simply changed course as soon as the Hobby started to dive. But the Hobby, with acres of excess speed, simply climbed back and tried again. And again. I counted an amazing 16 attacks, with a couple getting very close, but still the Mipit kept dodging. It couldn't last for ever, the Hobby was so determined. Fortunately for the Mipit, it had a plan and after the 16th attack it reached the outcrop of Lower Dunnagoat and dived straight into a crack! The foiled falcon circled once and headed off west.

Ho-ly shit.

After all that fun, I headed up Amicombe Hill.

Look at it on a map. Big thing, but doesn't seem much, steep on the east side, maybe. I went from Kitty Tor to Branscombe's Loaf [I've told you the Tale, I'm sure]. The grass, though, it has been growing. It was thigh-high when laid down, and shoulder-high when I wondered how long it really was and pulled up a handful... Nice walking without a path to follow; took me an hour. The Loaf was its usual spectacular-viewed self, with the bonus of a Wheatear and no less than 12 Ravens! Joining the big corvids were a hang glider and a paraglider - notably less agile, though also quieter.

I headed back via Great Links Tor, racking up 20 klicks, also 2 more Wheatears. Wheatears rock. :) The Mipits are flocking up, with one group of 35, but the continued Wheatears mean its not Autumn proper yet. Despite how soggy everything is.

It was fun. Also wonderfully quiet. Funny that..



No comments:

Post a Comment