17 February, 2013

It's A Rat In A Sock


Thus was the Pied-billed Grebe described by a Birder Who Shall Remain Nameless. I'm still sniggering...


But before all that.

Yesterday I had Things to be Done, and no twitching up to zumerzet for me, oh no. I had to be in Exeter, though [and the temptation to keep going was strong, I can tell you], but after getting all that could be done, done, I had some time. I came home the scenic way, via Matford and Exminster. At Matford the Firecrest eventually gave itself up and showed amazingly well for myself and a couple who were diligently waiting. While carrying out said waiting, I counted 12 visible Snipe on the Marsh, but couldn't find any Green Sands.

Onward to Exminster in search of the Smew. Just because. She was being naughty and hiding in one of the pools at the back [looking from the canal bank] and with the heat haze it was a reach even for the Big Scope. Tut. Better were two nice groups of Brents that flew over low :) Worse were the Merlin, which didn't show at all..

After that I still had time to get to Blackball to look at the roost. I should have stayed at home, as the swell was coming in and there was not a grebe to be seen! Drat.


So, bright and early this morning I made my way through the mistyfog to the Levels, where I managed to get into Ashcott Corner car park [having a li'l car is quite helpful sometimes]. The Grebe was a bit elusive until it became apparent that it was just running loops; all you had to do was wait and it would eventually come into the open water and perform. This it did and I enjoyed the spectacle no end!  :D  I even got to sit down at the same time [oh, the luxury] and it eventually came past pretty much as close as possible, in the sunshine. Wow. I've said this before for other birds and I mean it again; Go And See This Bird!

At least 2 Marsh Harriers and a dark and very busy Buzzard paid visits to liven things up a little as well. After taking in my fill - it even displayed and called for us - and enjoying a cuppa, I moved on to let someone else sit down and decided to see where I could have an early lunch out of the mounting wind [early start, cold day, etc etc..]. I figured I'd have a look to see if I could get into Noah's Hide, it's not so far to come back from, after all. On the way a Bittern dropped into the reeds in front of the first platform - it was even visible on the deck for a whole three seconds! :)

Blimmin' place was empty! Noah's Hide, possibly the best single spot to bird in the south west, empty on a sunny Sunday when there's a twitch on.. Whatever next? I didn't wonder about that for long though; the logbook said "Male + female Smew,  G W Egret, Whooper Swan, Goldeneye" Oooooohh......

I lodged into a corner, set up, and found the latter three fairly quickly, plus two BN Grebes, among the throngs of quacks. The hide soon got busy and with extra eyes still the Smew were invisible. [[I suspect that the writer had neglected to add "..then flew off towards Decoy"]] But the sunshine was glorious and the Great White gave us a close flypast, so it wasn't bad at all. After I'd finished my rations and given up the fruitless Smew-scanning, I tried the main track to see if the Smew were just being sneaky, but got no joy other than another low-flying Bittern.

I still had a fair chunk of the day left, so I decided to move on and let someone else into the car park [though there were spaces when I'd passed through to Noah's, and still a couple when I left]. The road was lined with cars for maybe 200m to the south as I drove off, but at least the traffic could pass. On the Glasto road I caught a slow lorry, [which was actually stuck behind a 35mph car!]. I was in a good mood and there was no cursing. In fact there was soon happy crowing as a frickin' ringtail Hen Harrier flew over the car in front of me and gave me a great view!! Now that is pure spawny jam there, folks...  :D


Despite there having been no news about American Wigeons when I left, I decided to drop into Bowling Green anyway and lo and behold there he was. Hidden in a ditch. After not that long a wait, he came out and after being very slippery, finally flew across to the big pool on the right and showed amazingly. While the AmWig was being naughty, we were treated to a visit by Mr. Evans, though despite the yank's best efforts at being elusive, he and his friends eventually got good views [and I got my Lee Yeartick! ;) ].


A great day's birding and another Lifer bites the dust. Indeed, today was but a drake Smew from perfection.




No comments:

Post a Comment