29 March, 2013

Oh, Not Again..


Up and out with determination this morning. I got down to the Nose, which this time was as blown out as expected. A Raven getting mobbed by a Herring Gull was amusing to watch, and there were at least 80 Guillemots on the Ore Stone [zero last weekend]. Otherwise sweet fa.

Right.. Time to go and find some migrants. After all, if you can't twitch someone else's Stone Curlew, why not get your own? Big nasty easterlies would push anything trying to fly for Salisbury Plain this way - and where's a nice high flat area with lots of nice fields that's the first land they'd hit? Prawle.


Oh, stop laughing....


I found no yellow-eyed fiends, despite checking a lot of stubble and rocks and clumps of straw [?] and so on. There were nutty dogs and psychotic sheep and a truly toothsome wind, but I pressed on. I also gave Pig's Nose Valley a go, hoping for Redstart up high and Ouzel down low. Nope. I gave the sea 2 1/2 hours and got 14 Sarnies and 2 Common Terns, plus a handful of the usuals. 14 LBBs included 2 intermedius types and probably the best bird was a smart adult argentatus Herring - nice and close - well, a treat for me, anyway!

Chiffs were scattered among all the cover, now calling more frequently; I hope this is as I assume a sign they're doing better [My reasoning; if they're too hungry to contact call they must be in trouble]. I found single Willow Warbler and Wheatear - a really confiding one :) - and bird-wise that's pretty much it.

Non-bird-wise, however...  Heading along the coast path from the Point towards Gammon Head, I realised I was not alone. Just up in front, another party was bounding along through the long grass - a Stoat! It had a fair-sized Rabbit by the throat and was carrying it along at quite a rate, either utterly unbothered by me or blissfully ignorant of the human following along maybe 20' behind it. There was a strong noisy crosswind, so either is plausible. Anyway, I got a great view for almost a minute before the Stoat vanished into cover. :D






No comments:

Post a Comment