10 July, 2013

What's That In The Sky???


Having consulted many tomes of ancient knowledge, I think they're what's known as 'clouds'...




Ahem.
Anyway, it has continued to be damned hot, with blazing sunshine and all manner of warmth. Joy.


On Sunday, the Sister and her family descended. All were assembled for a day of not doing a great deal due to the heat... :)  [Don't fret, no baby pics!] The Hounds of Hell were very well behaved - they've reached an entente cordiale with each other based on mutual ignorance* - both indoors and out, which was good. We took an afternoon stroll with the primary aim of getting ice cream** and managed to get me a Patch Tick in the process! Butterfly, mind, and nothing rare, but seeing a Purple Hairstreak within 30' of the ground is a treat anywhere. :D  This one was less than 10', in the company of a few Speckled Woods. The Big White Butterfly Book does say this is a way to see them reasonably close to [not counting the recently-emerged] and I've been intending to try it, getting a surprise one only spurs me on!


Speaking of butterflies.. Normally incredibly slow drivers vex me mightily when I just want to get home from work [or indeed just get anywhere..], but today I have one to thank for my first Silver-washed Fritillary of the year. It's not quite the same experience as watching them basking at minimum focussing range, true, but today's fly-past cheered me right up anyway! :)



Finally.. The same combe that was home to the Hairstreak was also overflown by at least 10 House Martins.. Now where they all came from is an interesting question! It is of course possible that they're from the big[ger] colony around Preston - possibly adding to the Ellacombe birds - but there's a fair chance I've another Patch colony out there somewhere.. I'll get back to you if I find them.







[[*There's a historical joke in there somewhere..]]
[[The Downs Hotel on {surprise surprise} Babbacombe Downs has particularly excellent scream. It's a stone's throw from Angels, too. Definitely something going on around there..]]

No comments:

Post a Comment