07 September, 2013

Damn The Snotpedoes!


Yup, still suffering from the Lurgy.


Today I defied it - it being all or nothing time - and headed down to Cornwarl. I had a Job to do before I could have some fun; Sister had Stuff that needed delivering to her and so I took the scenic route. The plus side of this involved Nephew being amused by my sleeves and Sister producing coffee and toast, the negative side involved me not getting to Pendeen until 10!!

Why Pendeen? Well, the forecast was for NW winds - starting more N, then getting down to almost W - with bands of showers in the morning and afternoon. Sunshine was a risk, though. Having scored very well previously in a SW version of this at 'Gwarra [The famous Day of The Big Shears], the NW version might well pay off, or so I thought. Of course, 'Gwarra does have a much better cetacean record than Pendeen, so if when I got to Penzance and had to choose - there's a roundabout; straight on to 'Gwarra, right for Pendeen - if it was sunny, I'd go to 'Gwarra and never mind the wind direction. Needless to say, it was very not-sunny and full of interesting weather.


But getting back to it...
While there had been many vicious showers on the way down, no more hit there after I arrived. Instead it got sunnier. Drat. There were a few birds passing [all west unless stated] - in 5 hours I counted 14 Balearics, 241 Manxies, and 3 skuas. 3 Razorbills and 5 LBBs made up the others. Gannets [538/21] Kittiwakes [13/5], and Fulmars [56/13] were divided, but mostly the passage was west.

In the sea a couple of Basking Sharks and two Sunfish were interesting - the Baskers were typically slippery, but here's an awful Sunfish sequence;


Sunfish with 'admirer'




Also on site were a couple of Wheatears;



Never mind that sitting-on-a-post malarky, check out my rock!




Eventually I'd had enough [it was very sunny and nothing was moving] and so I decided to take another scenic route home - via Long Rock and a Certain Little Yankee Wader.. ;) Said Semi Sand was being difficult, however - seemingly unimpressed by the hordes of dogs - and took a bit of finding as it was hiding on the actual Long Rocks! Still, the assembled group [not really enough for a proper crowd] were treated to some nice if a little distant views, then really sustained flight views as it went skimming off to a point on the beach more than halfway to Penzance..


So, a bit quiet on the watch, but a nice yeartick [and another view of a definitely findable rarity] and I didn't get soggy. [With the plague already upon me, this is a Very Good Thing]



EDIT: Oh yes, yesterday.. I did get out for a quick wander to get some fresh air in my lungs, but other than a dozen Gannets fishing out in Lyme Bay, I've nowt to report.

No comments:

Post a Comment