23 November, 2013

Back To Business


I was out at a proper hour this morning - pre-dawn!


Oh get up..  ;)


Awakening to clear skies I headed out to a nice vantage point for the eastern horizon. Which just happened to be Hope's Nose. Unfortunately, the evil scum-sucking weather had seen me coming, as a line of cloud along said horizon obstructed any and all views of a Certain Comet... Bugger.

The risen sun was very pretty, at least for the few seconds until it got too bright and glaresome.. Oh well, on to the birds, right?


Well, it was hard going, but I found some Stonechats - none of which were Caspian, or Siberian, or even sat still enough to photo. A few Mipits were moving around, and a very annoying silent pipit sp. flew up over my head and vanished. I'm sorry, but that's quite against the rules; pipits call in flight. [It's how you ID them ;) ] Fortunately, much later on [after a few Razorbills, Gannets, and a Kittiwake out to sea and not much other than Robins and Blackbirds* ashore] the day was saved [by the Pow-] by a brilliant and proper pipit flypast!
Water Pipit, in/off and right [and I mean right - touching distance!!] by me, calling as it came**. :D


After that glorious moment.. more searching and more finding nothing fancy. Still, there's an afternoon of doing Stuff to come, with maybe a quick look at the Harbour, too. :)


EDIT: A quick look around the Harbour and over the north end of the Bay this afternoon was quite rewarding, with at least 10 Purple Sandpipers on the Real Living Coast, and 3 BN Grebes and a small flock of Scoter out in the Bay. Said Scoter flock was sent flying up from Broadsands/Goodrington way by something [plenty of possible culprits out there..] and consisted of 11 Common and a Velvet - score! They never came close enough to get genders though, plonking down off Preston/Hollicombe.

Grey and Pied [yes, I saw them] Wagtails about in Town and a Moorhen the star on the pontoon [well, I'm still tickled by seeing them there!].


Right then, I threatened promised piccies, so speaking of the gulls' pontoon...

New dekkers!



And photoing of ships...

The 'Patricia' in Tor Bay this morning.
[Those are green and yellow buoys on deck, btw]



Last but not least, here's one for the memory books...


Pheasant inna tree:
"Don't shoot! I'm a woodpecker, honest!"





[[*Ok, one of the Blackbirds was all black, which makes it a Scandinavian one, I think.]]
[[**No, it kept going..]]

No comments:

Post a Comment