09 November, 2013

Up In The Sky..



It's a bird..

It's a plane..

No... it's NEMO!!


Big clownfish helium balloon over Orcombe this afternoon. Oh dear, some poor little kiddie...



That was pretty much the highlight of my Big Wild Goose Stand - yes, one field, one goose? Nope. Dip....


Bugger.



Earlier, the lovely female Long-tailed Duck proved much more amenable at Bowling Green. She showed marvellously, even coming out onto the grass for a brief minute!
I'd vaguely remembered hearing something about an early Goldeneye on the Exe, so adjourned to the Goatwalk for a good scan. After a lunch's worth of looking, I'd eventually nailed 5 R-B Megansers - amazingly my first in Devon this year [Possibly a Shock Of The Month, that] - but no sign of any smaller sawbills. Staying put did get me a flyover Fieldfare, though.

That wasn't my first of the winter, as on Friday a party of at least 5 flew over me at Yarner, where I spent a few hours primarily staring at tits - Marsh Tits coming to niger seed, mostly. ;)


Orcombe wasn't entirely dead, with a nice flock of about 85 Linnet [when all together] and a very surprising Migrant Hawker, which came up to me at the gate. I looked at it, it looked at me, I said "You do know it's November, don't you?" It said "Don't I just, it's norty words freezing - I'm off south for the winter!" and promptly flew off. [[Ok, maybe that was just in my head...]]


I know it's not the worst dip I've ever had - only a plumage tick [and a year tick as well, I suppose - which I'm not chasing] - but it's still bladdy annoying.. :(


Oh well, life's a bitca and all that, eh?



No comments:

Post a Comment