19 December, 2013

But It's Thursday..?!??


Boo!


I managed to get myself up and out to Blackball this afternoon - fighting my way through the rain and great big 'orrible hailstones to get there, too - and after my li'l scope stopped misbehaving, I had a look at what was cowering in the lee of the cliffs. Ok, sitting happily on the sea beyond the muddy bit, at least.



Well, for a couple of rain-soaked minutes, anyway, as then I was distracted and and to take a couple of piccies!

The Bonaparte's Gull is located by the Leprechaun Bird News Service
[The service is outstanding, but the subscription's feckin' costly!]
;)



So that's one rainbow for the rain and the other for the hail?




Ahem.

Right then, with it brightening up, I got some half decent counts. Roosting were; 1340 Herrings, 70 GBB, 8 GC Grebes [Mixed in with the gulls - explains why I've not found them last couple of tries], 2 RT Divers, a Razorbill, a BN Grebe, and a probable Slav Grebe. 310+ Kittiwake flew off as soon as the front cleared, and 8+ Gannets were fishing off Petitor - or at least trying to, as a Bonxie was giving them some, er, 'company'!


It also got markedly colder after the front went through, but I'll make no comments about the weather remembering what season it's supposed to be!



No comments:

Post a Comment