18 April, 2015

Deja Vu All Over Again


They say those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Other Theys say the same thing about past mistakes.

Still other Theys say that those who perform the same actions and expect different results are insane.



Now that I have you in a suitable mindset, here we go again.

I was at the Nose this morning - managed to miss PD - and despite the stiff [to say the least] ENE wind and blazing sunshine, managed to, well hear more than see some birds.


The best one was seen; a Hobby through at typical altitude [about 100' above sea level, hugging the coastline] at 1005. Hiding in the bushes and with a mix of calls and song, the sylvias* outnumbered the phylloscs** [by 2]. Offshore, there was the odd Gannet, but nowt of real note.



Inshore and along a sheltered section of IMD, I found my first Orange Tip of the year. It didn't feel like posing for a pic, though.




Yesterday, I gave utter thanks to the Goddess of Birding, for hearing my woe-filled plea She sent a GWE my way. There may have even been two of them - I went off chasing what had looked like one in the distant haze, but despite a full loop of Exminster it eluded me. The stunning adult in full regalia off Lion's Rest was much more helpful.

Ta and indeed Da;

The typical view



Striking a pose to show off
those gorgeous raspberry tibiae


There were hirundines above, waders and a few ducks about, and 6 flavours of warbler. While on my Wild Egret Chase, I also took the chance to look at the new bit, which was better than nothing, but still not a frickin' tower hide. Come on RSPB***, pull your little blue socks up!


I also managed to miss a low-flying Red Kite, but at least that was because I wasn't there  ;)


I didn't miss a very frisky shower, but fortunately I was close enough to the Turf to hide from it. Oh tragedy. :)  I took the opportunity to count a flock of lovely s/pl Dunlin out on the mud. 43 of them. While I was doing that, a flock of 5 Whimbrel flew past upriver. Unfortunately, neither Kite nor Osprey showed up while I was looking, though something with interestingly long wings was soaring way off towards Woodbury. Oh well, patience and persistence...




[*Blackcaps and Whitethroats]
[**Chiffs and Willow Warbler]
[***My feelings on the mangling of the name are not repeatable in polite print****]
[****Or even here]

No comments:

Post a Comment