18 May, 2015

::Muttermuttermutter:: I Don't Like Herons..



Just in [yes, before a night shift..] from dipping the Squacco Heron[s]. Again.


This is starting to become vexing.



On the bright side [he says, reaching almost far enough to do himself a mischief], Beesands is somewhere I've not been for too long. And today there were Swifts to look at among the hirundines [one was very fluffed up and big-looking; clearly on purpose as it stayed very close to the sun for an irritatingly long time]. Yesterday there were a couple of Hobbies passing by. Also assorted ducks and warblers - notably an insanely confiding Reed Warbler - to pass the heron-less time.


Yesterday was a busy one, as before I went out for an afternoon-into-evening dip, I was out with t' Folks on t' Moor.

Fernworthy always delivers.

This time it delivered Siskins. The Folks were treated to 'adult male in full breeding regalia, showing off and everything' and were duly impressed. Also some very nice Redpoll. No Crossbills - which was odd - but the Bluebells made up for them. Oh yes indeed. And all proper ones too, none of those rubbish tacky spanish things.


Saturday saw more yearlist related effort. Once more I made a determined try for those pesky invading Red Kites. I resorted again to lugging the Big Scope up an even bigger hill and this time scored! I tried two skywatches from neighbouring hills in late morning and early afternoon [the gap being full of down and up again...] Both sightings in the morning, NE of South Brent - a lone bird being mobbed by 2 very determined Crows, then 2 together heading N-NE towards Holne / Buckie. Also seen were a dozen assorted Buzzards, 3 Kestrels, a Peregrine, and a few Ravens.

The Avon valley held 2 calling Cuckoos, a Wheatear was up on the moor edge, and a Painted Lady landed briefly next to me, but scarpered before I could photo it!


It was rather glorious up there - I wished on more than one occasion I was going for a yomp and not weighed down with kit [especially in the long hour it took to actually see any raptor..]. This also as the twisty shifting wind meant getting a sheltered enough viewpoint was tricky; I'd get set up and then the wind would kick 30° or 40° and my scope would be vibrating like a fly on a hilltop..


Ach, I'm burbling. Did I mention I have to work tonight?


Oh dear.




Be Seeing You.


No comments:

Post a Comment