21 June, 2015

A Little Update


While I'm waiting for the eggs to cool - Traditional Fathers' Day Nicpic would not be complete without heggs - I figured I'd quickly update on yesterday's adventures.


Won't take long.


I got in some Stuff first thing [I know, instead of birding - criminal!] and then almost got to Bowling Green for the tide. Everything that came in was still in, but this did not include the Little Gull.

It did include IL, who was volunteering like the Master he is. Another face or two from the Devon scene popped in too, and a few good stories were told [which I cannot repeat, naturally]. Out on't the marsh, there were Bar and Blackwits, a few Whimbrel, loner Teal and Wigeon, a half dozen Lapwing, and more Blockheads [definitely the best term for BHG I've heard] than you could shake a Geeb at! But no Little Gull.

As not all the BHGs were in* [!] I wandered off to the Goatwalk to check the Exe. And look for that superb female LTD that showed up Friday night. There was no sign of her, either - not surprising given how busy the river was - but patient scanning of every group of gulls downriver eventually found the 1s Little Gull with BHGs in line with Lympstone. It looked like they were feeding on small fish - off Nutwell park, I reckon.

Also of note was a creche of 11 Shelducklings [awwww].


I headed back to share the joy, then on for what I'd 'officially' come up to do. Finally heading home for a rather later than expected lunch though, my blimmin' neck seized up, and I spent the rest of the day in pain as assorted pharmaceuticals bounced off it.  Joy.


Oh well, I'm better today. And you never know, there might even be Something flying over?




I can dream.




[[*There's about 1500 on the upper Exe right now.]]

No comments:

Post a Comment