06 July, 2015

They're 'round The Halfway Marker..


How time flies when you're having fun.


Or indeed, just sitting around doing very little. [It's odd that, you'd think if you're idling around that time would stretch, but the hours just vanish]


Anyways...

July started with me getting some gen on a repeat-sighted Turtle Dove at an [understandably, I'm sure you agree] undisclosed location. As this wasn't one I was familiar with, I checked it out on a few days before and after work, but got not a sniff. Apparently the bird buggered off as soon as word was put out [[damn psychic doves..]]. Oh well, I did see some lovely farmland, almost got flattened by the bin men [A full-size bin lorry in a narrow lane is not fun when you're on foot. Especially when they don't brake. I mean, even the combine harvester slows down...], oh and I saw my first Stoat of the year - which pulled their famous 'turn in their own length' routine to dive back into the hedge!


The weekend was split between a yomp on t' Moor and a nip down to Slapton in hope of thunder-downed terns. No terns, but t' Moor was lovely! I had a good day on the south moor, with a veritable horde of Wheatears, including as many fluffy new juveniles as adults! Ah, but they were adorable.

In between Wheatear bouts, I was up on some proper blanket bog. Real moor this, with only the odd stick to navigate by;


The Stick,
Black Lane 

The moor was lovely and green - nothing like a touch of rain to get all the grass growing. The lane itself was still a bit dry, though. It is getting increasingly noticeable how the bogs seem to be getting smaller and dryer over the years. Routes which used to be 'pass with care' are now casually traversed, bogs you had to circle around even in summer can be walked right over. It is concerning, to say the least...

But climate worries aside [and curses on the horrific erosion caused by all the frelling cyclists; just look at the Princetown-Sheepstor path - or don't, it makes you weep -] I had a very nice toddle.


And finally... Cocky sheep at Eylesbarrow;


"I ain't afraid of no Little Black Dog"




The yearlist comparison date is 4/11 btw.. yowzer!




Finally, huge congratulations to the Lionesses, who showed Hodgson's boys how you wear an England shirt.


Why aren't they going to the Olympics, again?

Hmm?


No comments:

Post a Comment