03 August, 2015

August Gets Off With - Well, Not Much Really...


Birding-wise, it was a bit of a non-event, this last weekend.



Lost Friday to a sick li'l car, and Saturday to a sick me, while most of Sunday was spent doing important things that I'd put off due to chasing birds for various important reasons.


I did get down to the Nose in the morning, for some vague notion of things that might be moving. I did indeed find a single migrating bird. It was a Swallow. And it was going north.

I'm not really surprised.

One notable sighting on Sunday was not at all birdy. A lovely pod of at least 9 Bottlenose Dolphin - including 2 calves, one young and pale - were feeding about 750m offshore. Well, they were feeding and porpoising and generally messing about, until 2 cabin cruisers and 2 speedboats came roaring by in quick succession... ::Sigh::

Also of note was a Jersey Tiger, which was unfortunately no longer with us, having landed on the wrong flower and been nabbed by a very small and very lucky spider!



I do have some not so pretty pictures to inflict upon you. One is a bit older and I'd forgotten I had it, the other was from Sunday.

Ta and indeed da;

Peach Blossom
[from 22/7]



Guess the butterfly? Maybe not...
Wall, Hope's Nose



There have been numbers of Swifts screaming around each evening, so at least until last night they were still here. Last night they managed to stay up back where I can't see, but I could hear multiple birds screaming. It may be the bulk have gone [after stuffing on flying ants, which have been abundant all weekend] and as usual left a few [presumed later juveniles] for a day or so.. I shall hope to find out tonight and will update on End Of Summer Day when it happens.


Finally, a feeder update. I have switched one over to sunflower hearts, in the hope of attracting Goldfinches. So far this has proved quite popular with the Greenfinches [who are supposed to prefer the tastier if more work whole sunflower seeds, but there you go..].  We shall see how things go.



No comments:

Post a Comment