05 September, 2015

Dipping For The Tape


The north wind doth blow but we won't be having snow.

[Snow? What's that??!??]


It is with mixed feelings that I look at the weather. Yes, passerines mostly being supercharged on their way is great, but the lack of much at the Nose [ok, that's for the given levels of the Nose, which is a place of 'double figures? WOW!'...] is the consequence. I saw my first Willow Warbler of the Autumn this morning, with a mix of Chiffs and sylvias that just scraped over said line, and yeah, that sums it up, doesn't it?


It was a lovely one, though.


So were the Wheatears at the Nose last night. :)



What else is new on't Patch? Very vocal owls.. First tit band of the Autumn! [A big one too, and mostly Great Tits but with 2 Nuthatches and a Treeeecreeper!]

Ooh yes, the Pipistrelle[s] is[/are] back! Last night, after getting in from sunset at the Nose I was a watering my trees* when all of a sudden there it/they was/were - flying around and landing on the wall. I watched until it got too dark to see, sitting on my railing with a daft grin on my face.. :D



Wandering back a little further, I took at toddle on the north Moor on Wednesday. Hit Cranmere from the north in what were pretty darn good walking conditions. My notebook told me I'd not been there for 2 years, but I'm sure it's wrong... I couldn't check the book there as there's a new one started this Summer. I suppose I ought to trawl this here blog.

No matter, it was good to be back up there, and sitting in the lee of a peat hag with only the wind for company was.. Near sublime.

Piccitures?

Cranmere Pool
The First Letterbox


When erosion attacks...


...Just walking on a track can be dicey.
[Yes, that is a big overhang..]



White Moor Circle
From Oke Tor



I looped from Okie camp via East Mill Tor and Oke Tors [because too many tracks are boring]. There were Wheatears around rocky bits and Black Darters around boggy bits and so many humbug coobeasties that I reckon they must have started cloning them..




So, five days and that's all to report? Well, I've been doing other things, needful things. Things that involved getting myself covered in polyfilla, to name but one. And still missing a bit, dammit.

There should be more, or at least more frequent reporting. Especially if the frickin' wind does go to the sweet east..




A blast from the past to finish up, I think;

That'd do nicely.
;D




[[*Not a euphemism.]]

No comments:

Post a Comment