02 January, 2016

The Year In Listing Post


Or,
  Ten momentos of a year spent chasing a ridiculous target because I read a book and was attacked by persistent inspiration.



2015 wasn't the first time I've chased a yearlist. The Patch has suffered [and that was a proper one, too, done on foot] in the past and I sort of went after Devon once before, too. I've filled up in Decembers when I've seen I was close to my personal record [there was an occasion when I just happened to decide I needed to go xmas shopping in Bath, which naturally necessitated side-trips to Cheddar Res, Chew, and the Levels... [yes, all in one day; travelling to and from was done in darkness!] The resulting British Isles Yearlist total is still my record.

Anyway, having mashed my old Devon record [set in the famous year of 2012], here are what may be my top ten moments from chasing this that and more than a few others...



10. I Hate Herons.

Not a highlight so much as a protracted lowlight. 2015 was the year of heron dipping, with only GWE falling. The Squaccos were easily the worst, as not only did I manage not to see any of a large influx, despite repeated attempts, but they would have been a Devon Tick to boot. [No, I managed to miss the NA one.. ::mutter mutter::]


9. Centenary Birds.

Bird 100 was not the Penduline Tit I was hoping for, but in fact... House Sparrow. That's yearlisting, folks.
Bird 200 took getting rained on a lot, but eventually, after far too much slogging, proved a gem; Dipper.


8. The Record Falls.

Curlew Sand. Dawlish Warren. Say no more.


7. A Little Corker.

Broadsands.. What do you get? Mud. Dogs. Biting wind. Diving birds. Oh, and such glories as this YBW, which showed so fabulously I still smile thinking about it.


6. Exminster Satisfaction.

Having previously missed Marsh Harrier, SEO, and Whooper Swan there, the news of White-fronted Geese had me scrambling. I got there as it was getting dusky to find not only the birds, but also several of Devon's Finest. Who then wimped out of looking for a reported male Merlin. I didn't and trotted off up the canal in the gathering gloom. And scored. ;p


5. Gotcha You Beauties.

Dart's Farm. Penduline Tits. Far too many attempts, but oh they were gorgeous when they finally deigned to show.....


4. That Li'l Bar Steward.

Little Tern. There's always a bogey. Bad that I'd had more than one 'probable'. Worse that I'd somehow missed multiple birds so many times.The fact that there had been one flying up and down in front of us at the HudWhim was just rubbed salt.
Finally, on my I-can't-remember-how-many-th trip to the Warren, even the Dynamic Duo couldn't help me, but then Mr Eagle showed up and bingo. The Force was strong in him that day. [[Sorry..]]


3. See You Eventually.

The Black Hole. A SEO. [[I might stop the 'humour' eventually..]]. Two very long trips and a lot of rain. There is huge satisfaction in getting the bird [and the photo..] just in time. Though getting someone else on it would have been even better.
Then come the end of December I just drive past one up on't Moor.....


2. The Bridge.

Slapton bridge. Dusk. Patience. Silence. And then.. the Bittern. Not flying but walking, fishing.. Practically holding my breath, straining my eyes.. Oh, magical.


1. Dartmoor.

At an undisclosed location on an undisclosed date, I was out looking for something else entirely, certainly not this bird, when there he was. Male Ring Ouzel. Singing.
I was taken back to my very first Ouzel. That one was sat on top of a big tor on an overcast and chilly day. The mournful song was something I didn't recognise. Then I saw him, up above us... 
As you might have surmised, it left a mark.




And I didn't even mention being seconds from Leach's on New Year's Eve, or the AmWig saga, or spending hours in the cold because escapes don't count, or how I forgot my ace and never got it back or.. ::deep breath::

Yeah, so, that was that. The best bits were half listing, half 'proper' birding, but something I do take from this is that many of the wonderful moments I had, watching brilliant birds being wonderful, only happened because I was chasing a yeartick. And there's more to come, because yes, yearlisting will also feature in my full Top Ten Highlights of 2015. Which is Coming Soon to a Screen near You.




To quote The Toecutter; "You can run, but you can't hide"

No comments:

Post a Comment