27 February, 2016

Home Front Update Post


Well, I'm feeling better in myself, but I've not yet been properly out having fun. Things to do, you know..

The only birdy stuff to report is all from here;

Yesterday morning pre-dawn a Tawny Owl flew over, heading up-valley. As I watched it go I thought to myself, "That's a funny-looking Crow.... Oh wait, it's a Tawny." I'd had a nice profile view [you know, of the great big head etc.] but that took a few seconds to work its way through all the clockwork. I blame long nights.

The feeders have been getting hit more - since it got windy, not when it was all 'super-cold' earlier in the week. There have been more Great and especially Blue Tits coming in, the mix seems popular with them. There may or may not be an actual link, of course. Green and Gold finches both continue in small parties, as do the ubiquitous Coal Tits. I haven't caught any more Nuthatches, but I'm sure that's just lack of effort.

[Not mentioning the flying rodents.]


EDIT:
An afternoon trip to Towne gave me the chance for a quick look about the Harbour. The brisk wind was north of east, so while most of the Bay was taking the cold onshore blast, close in there was some shelter, with only an impressive rolling swell.
Birds were to be seen; with a GND in the Outer Harbour, at least 7 Purple Sands feeding along the Real Living Coast, 7 GC Grebe and 1 grebe sp. [probably a Slav] off Torre Abbey and Livermeade, along with a dinky 1w Razorbill, and 3 Common Gulls with the usual larids.

Time for a game, Spot the Purple Sand!

Can you see it? Can you?
Looking over the edge. 
There is a Purple Sand in shot. Honest.
 
 
 Time for the phonebins.
Can you see it now?






Be Seeing You..

No comments:

Post a Comment