20 December, 2016

Head In The Clouds


The rest of me, too, yesterday.

Being determined to get up on t'Moor at least once more before year's end, I figured the imminent rain [at least forecast so..] would make it a better sooner than later affair. With the prospect of it coming pretty soon, I figured I might as well get going, especially if it turned out to be another of those 'fog in the valleys sun up top' days.

It wasn't.


Less fog below and hill scrapers above, but hey at least it wasn't windy and the rain held off until I almost got back.

I went along one of the favourites, from Scorhill to the White Moor Circle, then along the ridge to Wild Tor, before cutting across via Watern Tor, over the Pole Bridge and across Shovel Down back towards Scorhill. I took a slightly more circuitous route than usual - partly due to the white bowl but mostly due to taking an absence of coobeasties to have a good nose about the walled hill garden - and clocked up about 16km, so a good walk at least.

It was.. not as birdless as you'd expect, though the good stuff was heard only; Red Grouse[2+], Snipe [probably only 1] and several [presumably] groups of Golden Plover. The Rowans by the car park were very stripped, and only the odd winter thrush hanging about - a group of Redwing lower down and 3 Fieldfare up by the walled rock garden. Otherwise, usual suspects.
It was very people-less, and amazingly quiet. As I sat in the misty silence of Wild Tor.. Oh, apart from the odd passing aircraft there was actual real silence like you just don't get... :D Not even the wind in the grass.

The phone was unleashed for a couple of attempts at the joy of it, and no, you will not be spared.

See, it wasn't that bad..



White Moor Circle


Wild Tor


Oh, but it was wonderful.
[You may think I'm mad, stomping about cold dank hills in the fog, but I can think of worse ways to pass the time. Anything involving xmas muzak, for starters...]



In other news, Sunday saw me get out and have a look for birds on the dead calm sea. I found.. Not what I expected.

No Common Scoters! The mistyfog was a hillscraper, and so I went down the Nose and duly found visibility from The Mounds. I swept Thatcher channel to Longquarry and scored 60 Razorbill, 58 Guillemot, 9 auk sp., and a Harbour Porpoise [working along a flotsam and jetsam line]. A juvenile RTD flew south, and then so did 2 glorious Velvet Scoter - they came out of Babbacombe Bay! - adults, male and female, close in, in picturebook line ahead. Oh, if I'd had a camera..................
No sign of the previous GND, and not a grebe anywhere. I have no idea where they were, as the Boss saw plenty in the area the day after.. ?!?



So, another year ends and a new dawn beckons. The Sun is coming back, but what will it see? [Chaos, panic, and disorder - Plus Ça Change...]



A Hume's Warbler in Devon would be nice. [No, I didn't go to Dorset, I've had enough of dipping those things there..] A cute little pipette up zumerzet way, maybe? But not likely in all that rain tomorrow.. Oh well, what shall be shall be.


Be Seeing You..


P.S.
There is already a change a' come. You shall see more. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment