03 February, 2017

Diver Diver!


Decided to wander over to Berry Head for today's incoming 'not a storm as it's only hitting the south west'. Something about a strong SE, with big waves and a high tide made me decide against the Nose. Oh yeah, the whole sewage spray thing, that's it.


I was amazed to find nobody there, even more so when nobody showed up. I mean, I know it's February, but this is the time of year when insanely rare seabirds can show up, and The Boss had scored the day before...  Oh well.

Yeah, so as you might guess from the title, there were a few divers on display. First up the best bit as a flock of seven went by southwards; six Red-throats and a Black!! Singles of Red- and Black- followed on, with a GND heading into the Bay. Other fancy birds included.. Well, absolutely nowt. In five hours. Not a skua. Not a grebe. Not a duck - not even a Mallard...

There were hordes of auks - I didn't even try clicking them, they were zooming through at all ranges and many were plonking down, too. A timed count gave 361 in ten minutes.. Yes, more than Two Thousand an hour..... The rate didn't let up, either, so that's maybe TEN THOUSAND passing while I was there. Gannets, Kittiwakes, and Fulmars were also moving in the low to mid hundreds.

There was a fair swell running

The sea chucked more water on me than the clouds did - not what I expected.







Under the sea there was more variety, with the Harbour Porpoises joined by brief Common Dolphin and longer Common Seal* sightings.



A catchup post will ensue soon, covering the bits I've missed out, including another seawatch and a few other things, too.


Be Seeing You..



[[*1. I've seen far more Grey Seals in harbours, 2. Black-headed Gulls.]]

No comments:

Post a Comment