25 February, 2017

Thar She Blows!


Did you really expect any other title?

Yes, after my lovely new working week [now with added 'work into weekends'] ended, it was straight off down to Slapton to have a look for our lovely visiting cetacean, who's definitely putting the mega in megafauna.. [[Ok, ok, I'll stop it]]


I succeeded, more through jam than judgement, as every call I made about where to go and when was in the clear light of 20/20 hindsight wrong.. I started up at Strete Gate, walked down to Memorial, saw the whale at about 2.5km - WOOOO!!! - then decided that as it was seemingly just south of Torcross to relocate there. This I did* at the same time as the whale decided to head north... To add injury to insult I managed to slip on Limpet Rocks and make a fair attempt at bending my fingers over backward - fortunately they still work but aren't happy about it - and while a lovely Peregrine did fly past, the whale eluded my attempts at a sub kilometre photo-able view..

But I did at least get to see one full dive sequence up to and including undersides of flukes, all sharp at 75x, so I can't and won't moan [any more].


I will grumble quietly** about the hordes [plural hordes] who drove me from my attempt at a quiet or indeed any lunch at Stokeley, but that's weekends for you. So no chance at another go for the littlest Scaup. Instead I muttered over to Thurlestone, where the Desert Wheatear was adorable, despite the blast, and after far too much looking, even the Whitefronts failed to elude me. As a bonus I even got onto a Water Pipit!

:)

I'm calling it a win.

Time to assail your eyes;

Looking south at a Humpback Whale
[there may be a little water in the way..]



Looking east at a Humpback Whale
[ok, maybe 'at where one was'..]
[[But there are Block'eads and a Fulmar!]]


Wonder why a Desert Wheatear likes it there..?


Time for your close up



Two of these geese are not like the others...


White front?
Check.



Ooh, before I go, I have some more news.. Wednesday afternoon saw me get an unexpected Home Tick, with a flyover Mallard!! [Yes, such joy over a Mallard.] It went zipping over west, about 20' higher than That Osprey went north [Yes, I had to remind you about That Osprey ;) ]. Male, just the one. :D

Ok, that's it.


Be Seeing You..





[[*Yes, I lugged the Big Scope from Strete to Monument and back.. Fool. Though 6 singing Cetti's were some consolation, I admit.]]
[[**Hairs are for splitting. In my defence, I was by then in a little discomfort, which did not improve my mood or my willingness to be reasonable with regards to people who were enjoying Nature with just as much right to as me.. Ahem.***]]
[[***I'm sure I wouldn't have seen her anyway. Though the report of '1 male and 2 female Scaup' makes me wonder....]]

No comments:

Post a Comment