10 May, 2017

Get On With It


As they chorus in MP


Things and Stuff keep getting in the way of proper blog maintenance - I do apologise. There is still a short boring post about shallow holes in the ground to come. It's mostly written but nowhere near polished, though, so you're still a way off, I'm afraid [or maybe you should be..? ;) ]

Right, the weekend and so on.

So what happened again?


Er....


Oh yeah. After I spent most of Saturday staring at a largely empty sea [I was watching the pilot boat vs car carriers.. oh yes], and after Sunday's Plan got postponed a day, I took to doing the backup. Firstly I amused myself in my kitchen doing some baking - I find it dreadfully calming, making baked goods, and people do seem to appreciate them - and seeing a couple of Swallows going past my window :), then I toddled up to Bowling Green for the evening tide.

Bowling Green in the afternoon sun
[note thin pillars, rspb zumerzet!]

 I had hopes of things like Spoonbills or maybe even flying raptors of a Red or brown and white variety, but these were dashed. It also seemed my [much more realistic] hopes of Ruff, Spring, Male, Assorted would be, too.

But with far too much patience, three eventually showed. Never close, but looking lovely lit up by low sunlight ;

Spot the Ruffs


Spot the Ruff


 Also a scattering of waders and ducks - with Pintail and Shoveler, Barwits [gorgeous s/pl some of them], Greenshank, and Knot of some note. Warblers, both migrant and resident, were about, too, though not a hope of pictures of them! [Dratses]

Spot the Odd One Out

The gulls were a bit better, but nothing nice [you know, like a Franklin's..] really. Yes, Med's are prettier [and with a far less grating voice], but still..


Monday afternoon saw me take such advantage as I could of my lovely work hours to go looking for Bluebells with the Folks. The LBD was along, too, but she wasn't interested in Bluebells [they taste 'orrible, even to a dog], the various smells were far more to her liking, though, as were the rations when we stopped for coffee [that baking had almost forethought, you see].

The lower flowers were starting to go over, and had been hailed on, but up high, the later-bloomers were pretty intact. Here you go;

Down in the woods


Up in the woods

There were other flowers blooming, too. The trio were just about going [that's Bluebell, Campion, and Primrose in bloom together]. There were also these;

Incredibly Common Orchid

Tiny Pretty Flower

I have no idea what this is. I do know my blimmin' camera didn't lock on to the flower, despite showing the focus box on it.. Grr.

Slightly Less Tiny Flower

No idea what this is, either.


Yeah, so, it was a very nice afternoon in the sunshine. No low- or high-flying raptors that weren't Buzzards, again, but never mind. I had hopes of Wood Warblers, but these were dashed. A Redstart sang at one point, but he evaded us easily. Many butterflies on the wing, including a non-orange skipper sp. seen by Mum, and a frit sp. [probably a Pearl-border sp.], plus lots of Blues [mostly Holly] and single Brimstone and Orange-tip.


That'll do!


Be Seeing You..



No comments:

Post a Comment