27 May, 2017

Getting In On The Fun


After no small amount of vexation from a variety of causes, today I determined that I would at least try to see something red and airborne. As I needed to be up Exeter way anyway, it seemed reasonable to drop into Topsham and see what was about.

Bowling Green was unsurprisingly quiet - though the two remaining Wigeon tried their best, as did the Cetti's and Reeds - with a Stock Dove perhaps the best sighting! I was not alone in the hide, indeed there were at least 3 RSPB there, though they were in the process of setting up the place as a tea room... Yes, really.
Now, I know that getting as many people to at least look towards birds is a good thing, and fund raising via subtlety isn't indefensible, but I must admit I did mentally double take.

"Did somebody mention carrot cake?"


Moving swiftly onwards.. Did I mention the Swifts? LOADS about. Ahem. Right, so I figured I'd take a quick look off the platform while I was there. Lo and behold I find an actual birder. No less than Mr B himself. He told me he'd already had 2 Red Kites. I tried not to bang my head on the retaining wall..

Raptor weather



I set up next to him and.. Shock! Red Kites started appearing! They were well downriver - crossing from Powderham / Starcross after getting a bit of height - but they were there. :D Four passed before KB had to get off to the pub for the rugby - so he'll have had a good day [[At least assuming he doesn't wake up in the nick...!]] ;) - and another in the 15 whole minutes I gave it before scurrying off to do what needed doing.
Also of note - as well as various Buzzards getting up once the sun came out - was another raptor. This one went over N / NE very high indeed. It was in the background of two different kites! It didn't look Kite-y at all, with broader wings, but too taily for a super high Buzzard.. It also did not flap its wings once, just drifted by.. With Nikon and Swaro's most Big Boss scopes beaten by range and light, we reckoned that as the mighty MK was apparently up at Woodbury, he'd probably nail it. [And about 50 Kites, most likely...]

EDIT: Or maybe not. Oh well, another in the NAB* file..


After I'd succeeded in said Doing, I detoured on my way home to Exminster, where there was gen of a Wood Sand. S/pl Woodie is well worth a look, oh yes.  This one was being a git, though. Unlike these two reprobates;

Just for you, Keith


I knew where the Woody had been, but it was not in sight. Try another angle. Try another angle. Try another angle...

There were cute quacklings of Mallard, Canada, and Mute on show [aww] but the Wood Sand was hiding.. Drat.

Then I looked up;

Gotcha!

Came over maybe a hundred feet up and only got higher - I'd hoped for a drop-in and fly about - but never mind, eh?
What did fly about - very close, but also very fast - was my first dragon of the year. Yes, you read right; first! It was only a male Scarce Chaser, too! :) Ah, but if it had sat down in sight.. 


Eventually, on my way out, still checking the angles, my persistence paid off;

Yes, that.


Block 'ead: "Of course it's a Wood Sand"


Looked much much better through the scope, naturally. I even got another birder [[who shall remain nameless as he wasn't out birding, honest ;) ]] on it, so lots of win to go around.



Good day.




Be Seeing You..


[[*"It's definitely not a Buzzard**." But what is it, then? Too blimmin' far away, that's what...]]
[[**99/100 {or more} it IS a Buzzard, so the others are all noteworthy]]

No comments:

Post a Comment