26 June, 2017

Getting Around. Part One; Rares Over There


After a slight hiatus from my previously frenetic posting pace, I'm back. There's a fair bit to tell, so I'll split things up into manageable chunks.


So, what did I get up to?

Read on, dear.. er.. reader.


Ahem.


So, with the breaking of the heatwave I gained the energy to actually get on with doing some things. I really don't approve of all this blazing sunshine and tropical humidity, you know. When there's warnings for UV levels above that we're supposed to get in this here nation as well.. 'Tut' is all I can say.


Anyways. First up was my desired intent to get up to the Levels in proper Summer, to seek Summer-y birds and so on.

I also had a mission, but that was dependent on the weather doing as was forecast and clearing up from the dizzly morning into something resembling sunshine. Which, in a shock move, it actually did. Though in revenge it got far windier than it ought to, but hey.


So, up to zumerzert, where about the Avalon Marshes I did go in search of various sexy birds. I once again was shocked* to find almost everything I was looking for, and even got some on camera. Some of those were even in focus - oh, my autofocus has had me near apoplectic so many times this week... - but almost all at least recognisable. Yeah, you know what's coming.

My first and primary target was the cutest little woofer you ever did see. And I did! :)

"Can I smell coffee??"

Waiting for a bird to show? Pour a cuppa. It works every time. Unlike sony autofocus..

He was feeling bashful, and didn't let me try for a better angle;

"Fine, I'll go and get my own then"

Speaking of flight shots and Bitterns;





Quite a few bigger ones about.




Also in the air;

Reasonable Marshie shot

Better


Also a shiny new one

No, wait, two of them

Putting on a display


Elsewhere, on show;

Very Glossy

Still singing

Pochard and quackling


Scaling down a bit;

Black-tailed showoff


A Variable is worth getting nettled..



Right then, the weather brightened up, so it was time for my Mission. And oh, but I was on one. Very needfully, as that dratted camera did everything it could to foil me in my attempt to get shiny proof of no less than a Lifer.

I went here;

I don't even have to say it, do I?

And after many woes and hours plural, scored these;

Not that big, really.

And very dark.

"They like the pink ones"


My camera, though, did not like them.

At all.



Oh, they were beautiful. Oh, they were frustrating.
Oh, another Butterfly Lifer bites the dust.

:D

[Next year, Heath Frit, next year....]



The RFF did not rematerialise for me [a birder can dream!], and the Cattle Egrets had wandered off - oh, and not even a print of an Otter - but everything else was on show, if less photogenic. I have three more heron spp., but from range, and you all know what they look like.


It was a good day out, even with a Horsefly attack at Ham Wall car park..!





Be Seeing You..


[[*Perhaps I need to raise my standards?]]

No comments:

Post a Comment