25 September, 2017

Patch Bopping


A slower-moving version of bashing, as I'm still in low-key mode..


Total shift in the weather, from windy sunshine to near-calm mist, with intervals of light rain...

I was hoping for a few migrants, maybe even something like that which seemed to have turned up everywhere else.. But aside from a steady movement of Mipits overhead, this was not to be. True, the nature of the Nose [let alone the rest of the patch] is not helpful, but I'd hoped. I really had.

Lots of siu-ing Chiffs, more than the day before, but not a single Blackcap! That is realllly odd. There are overwinterers, [if not full-time residents, I suspect..], but not a peep. Not even here;

The North Side

Prime Blackcap country, that. But no. Lacking rarities to curse my autofocus about - or even any good mimics - I amused myself with some target practice..

First Slope Robin

Second Slope Robin

"Wot yoo lookin' at??"

Watchtower Cover Robin

With no Blackcaps..

..Here's a Blackbird
[Groan]

Ok, time for the showiest denizens of the Nose this time out;

Speckled Wood

That one was good, this one much better [including in the fight that happened seconds after I took these!]

Another Speckled Wood

This is a butterfly that knows how to pose

Own that leaf, baby!

Ahem.

While we're on insects;

Haven't I met you somewhere before?

Not an insect, but keen to meet some...

Spidertastic! Let's have another;

Gorgeous

The Garden Spiders of the Nose have the habit of casting their webs across the paths - especially in the Second Slope and Lower Meadow - which invariably leads to grief for all concerned. The spider loses all their hard work, and the walker who didn't notice the web gets a) webbed, and b) a large and rather irritated spider on board!



Right, after pretty things, you know what else is coming....

Urrrgghh...

Yuck.

Arrrrg

Bleeuuuurgh

Ick.

Ok enough.

And it could be worse; I've got a shot of a group of 4 Razorbills... On the Manx line! [::Faints in horror::] Plus a Gannet at the same spot for scale!

But I'll be nice and spare you that abomination..

I will talk about them, as I found myself staring at the sea and wishing I'd brought my lunch down for a seawatch, as it was surprisingly good. I even got a Puffin! Ok, that was best bird far and away, with not a shearwater in sight, but Gannets were moving and I saw a Kittiwake! ['A' Kittiwake..] What more was out there that patience, persistence, and most of all a great big scope, have revealed? By the look of the Boat trip, a fair few skuas. I stood on The Mounds [light winds, remember] and watched for half an hour.
5 Razorbills, that Puffin, two groups of commic terns [7 and 2], a Kittiwake, and no less than 43 Gannets [plus 6 north] were better returns than I had a right to. So yay.

Gannets

It's just a Shag.

You get these white-y ones quite often. Some people get quite excited by them, I am of the opinion you see above.

Finally, here's one from Home;

Greenfinch
[1w m.]

Stuffing his not-so-little face.  :)


Be Seeing You..




No comments:

Post a Comment