09 October, 2017

More Of The Same


Still nursing my pinged knee, I was very good and did not go yomping about anywhere naughty. Or anywhere much at all, really.

I didn't even try my hand at dipping the Vagrant Emperor at the Warren - so you know I really mean it.


Anyways, I did get out about the Patch a bit, with a first thing visit to the Nose on Saturday, and a more general meander on Sunday. I'm sure you can guess what's coming, though I promise to include a little variety on last time.


Saturday was interesting in the utter lack - apart from one early deluge - of the forecast 'mounting rain from incoming front'. Sunday was also far less rain than forecast, being mostly made of sunshine. Oh well. Different plans would have come from accurate forecasts. I know I've said this many times, but you'd think in this day and age, with all these supercomputers and so on, that a vaguely accurate prediction the fricking night before would not be impossible.

Ahem.
Right.. So, I found a few differences from the weekend previous, most obviously being the utter lack of warblers. I think I found three Chiffs over the two days!?! As opposed to three in one little bush by IMD the week earlier. Hmm.*

There was a lot of movement on Saturday, though quite a bit was going the wrong way! This included a flock of 33 Mipit, going past low over the sea about 400m out.. north! Huh. All the Swallows were in/off, though a big mob of House Martins feeding over Ilsham valley [39 of them] did move out the right way. The most notable migrant overhead was a nice vocal Reed Bunting [wow], and the only 'decent' bird was a gorgeous Firecrest, which posed right out in the open by the Rock Path Holly, then dived into it when I raised my camera, the little [Censored].. :(

Readers with x-ray vision will see it clearly...


To be fair, even the Goldcrests were at it; when I came across a couple having a right claws-out fight along IMD, the moment I tried to make them famous they thought better of their conflict and vamoosed.. Drat.


But not everything was quite so unrewarding, so here goes for 'Cra Common Birds From The Patch' II.....;

80's Pop Duo

Bullfinches are bashful birds..


..Needing a little fieldcraft to get in range.

Note intervening scenery [and autofocus actually behaving for once].

"If I pose, will you please go away?"

I had the camera out

Goldfinches

Not the local mob


Part of a flock of 7

Who came down from the north
and spent a while foraging around the Quarry


These guys took some stalking, too. [After I ran right into them at the Narrow Bit... Ahem].


Far less subtle fare was also about;

Mosquito Boat

And you thought 2cy Herrings were fugly...

To apologise for that horror [why Ace feel they have to paint such ugly ships that awful colour scheme is beyond me..], I shall not only spare you gulls [stop cheering] but I shall show you something properly purdy instead! ::Gasp!::

Much better

Who needs Draconids, anyway?


The Hill does block good things as well as bad, but sometimes the sky finds a way.


Sunday saw me avoiding the Nose to see what else was about. I also had a small delivery to make, which was well-received. In terms of birds, there was little of great note - tit bands and no obvious migrants.
Cue various pictures;

 Confiding Crows

Eclipse Green, one of the highest points around
[view towards the north east Moor]


Looking The Other Way
The Sub, from The Hill

Rippon to Hay Tors
Rough Tor visible just left of Hay

Leafshine

Hold on a minute..??

And finally, that delivery...

Culinary Mad Science



Be Seeing You..



[[*I suspect a strange phenomenon known as 'migration'....]]

No comments:

Post a Comment